In a bit of a reversal to what was previously reported by the media on Sunday, Rangers first baseman Mitch Moreland will possibly forgo the ankle surgery he had scheduled for Wednesday and instead attend batting practice on Monday with the hopes of returning to the lineup in three to four weeks, according to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Wilson added, however, that the 28-year-old is seeking a second opinion as of Monday afternoon and that the reconstruction surgery on his ankle is still possible. On Sunday, Rangers Executive Vice President of Communications John Blake said Moreland would miss "extensive time" because of the surgery. The decision to possibly undergo surgery would be to address chronic pain in the ankle that the team has tried to deal with through injections, orthotics and wraps, according to the media report.
As Ben Reiter of Sports Illustrated points out, Moreland's move to the DL is the 19th such move for the Rangers this season. He had said he was planning on having the surgery after the season, but at least on Sunday expressed the feeling that the pain had reached the point where it was unbearable and his play was affecting the team.
Moreland was batting .246 with two home runs and 23 RBI with the bulk of the playing time falling on him as Prince Fielder is out for the season. The Rangers are currently 31-32 and fourth in the AL West heading into their final game against the Indians on Monday night.
Mitch Moreland to forgo ankle reconstruction. Hopes to be back in 3-4 weeks. MRI on Rougned Odor clean. Will take BP today. #Rangers
— Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) June 9, 2014
This just in ... Mitch Moreland will now seek a second opinion. Reconstruction still possible. #Rangers — Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) June 9, 2014