NBA rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
With the NBA draft in the books, the focus of the off-season has now shifted to free agency, which opens on July 1.
The biggest question at the moment is where Kevin Durant will play next season. The Washington Wizards have reportedly fallen out of contention to land their hometown star, while the Heat, Thunder and Warriors reportedly have the best chances of acquiring the former NBA MVP.
Keep checking this page for the latest rumors from around the league.
• Kevin Durant has scheduled six free agent meetings so far; The Heat, Clippers, Celtics, Warriors, Spurs and Thunder will all pitch the free-agent forward beginning on July 1.
• Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony has started to recruit Durant to play in New York, he told reporters on Monday. New York is reportedly “on Durant’s radar” after acquiring Derrick Rose, but has not yet set up a meeting.
Kevin Durant: "Obviously they have a good team now with D-Rose & Melo & Porzingis so I will talk to my team and we will figure things out."— Ian Begley (@IanBegley) June 27, 2016
• The Hornets want to re-sign free agent Jeremy Lin, but are worried he will sign elsewhere, ESPN’s Chris Broussard reports. The team’s top priority is to re-sign Nicolas Batum in addition to bringing back free agent Marvin Williams, Broussard reports.
• Over the weekend, Lin said he’s “always been open” to a Knicks return, though he doesn’t see it as likely. It sounds as if the 27-year-old is looking for a starting role.
• Chicago Bulls forward Pau Gasol informed the team that he will decline his $7.7 million player option for the coming season and enter free agency, ESPN’s Marc Stein reports. The Knicks may be among the teams interested in the 36-year-old forward, who averaged 16.5 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks last season. Over the weekend, Gasol committed to playing for Spain at the Olympics.
• The Memphis Grizzlies have put together a recruiting video for Mike Conley in hopes that he stays in Memphis, starring Justin Timberlake, and team members Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol and Tony Allen.
• According to ESPN’s Tim MacMahon, Conley is concerned about joining the Spurs because of incumbent starter Tony Parker.
• The Rockets are eyeing Kevin Durant, Al Horford, Hassan Whiteside and Ryan Anderson in free agency, ESPN’s Calvin Watkins reports.
• Former No. 6 draft pick Ekpe Udoh eyes a return to the NBA after winning a championship with Fenerbahce Istanbul of the Euroleague, according to Shams Charania of The Vertical.
• Team USA has announced its roster for the Olympics. Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony led the U.S. in scoring at the 2012 Olympics and return to defend their gold medal. The remainder of the 12-man roster is composed of first-time Olympians.
• Big man Darrell Arthur has opted out of his contract with the Denver Nuggets, according to Eric Pincus of BasketballInsiders.com.