Right or Wrong? Indiana's Tom Allen Ranked 9th Among Big Ten Coaches
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Rankings are oftentimes subjective, and when it comes to ranking the coaches in the Big Ten from top to bottom, it becomes VERY subjective.
So when Dustin Schutte of Saturday Tradition took his swipe at it this weekend, he placed Indiana's Tom Allen in the No. 9 spot out of the 14 Big Ten coaches.
Allen has been at Indiana for three full years and one previous bowl game as a head coach and has posted an 18-20 overall record. He's just 9-18 overall in the Big Ten, however, though he is trending in the right direction, going 8-5 a year ago after back-to-back 5-7 seasons. Those eight wins were the most by an Indiana team in 26 years.
Allen and Indiana also won the Old Oaken Bucket a year ago, winning 44-41 in double overtime against Purdue in West Lafayette. It was one of three road victories for Indiana in the Big Ten.
Here's what Schutte said about Allen at No. 9:
"Last season really served as a boost for Allen. Indiana had its best season in nearly three decades, finishing 8-5, appearing in the Gator Bowl and being ranked in the Associated Press poll for the first time in 25 years. Allen has also assembled two of IU’s best recruiting classes in the program’s history. It’s hard to have that kind of success in Bloomington and Allen deserves plenty of credit for what he’s been able to do. Much like (Illinois')Lovie Smith, though, we’ll find out if Allen can find sustainability at IU.''
Here was Saturday Tradition's order:
- James Franklin, Penn State
- Paul Chryst, Wisconsin
- Ryan Day, Ohio State
- Kirk Ferentz, Iowa
- Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern
- Jim Harbaugh, Michigan
- P.J. Fleck, Minnesota
- Jeff Brohm, Purdue
- Tom Allen, Indiana
- Scott Frost, Nebraska
- Lovie Smith, Illinois
- Mel Tucker, Michigan State
- Greg Schiano, Rutgers
- Mike Locksley, Maryland
What are your thoughts on the ranking? Please feel free to comment in the section below and his the FOLLOW button in the top right corner to get all of over great Indiana content at no charge.
Related Indiana football stories
- FAMILY SAYS THANK YOU: The family of Cassondra Wilson, the mother of Indiana football player Cam Wilson, thanked the community for all their support following their mother's murder on May 8. CLICK HERE
- PLAYERS WILL SEE CHANGE WHEN THEY RETURN: It will be safety first when players come back to campus for voluntary workouts, with the emphasis on keeping everyone healthy. CLICK HERE
- ARE POLLSTERS DISRESPECTING INDIANA? The Hoosiers aren't in most preseason top-25 polls, but shouldn't they be? CLICK HERE
- FOOTBALL FRIDAY: Our first weekly notebook focuses on new grad transfer tight end Khameron Taylor, including a video with his South Alabama folks about what kind of great person he is. CLICK HERE