Skip to main content

Alex Afari is no longer practicing with Kentucky following court ruling

Afari is currently ineligible after a court ruling in the Colorado case that granted 2022 athletes eligibility.
Aug 30, 2025; Lexington, Kentucky, USA; Kentucky Wildcats linebacker Alex Afari Jr. (3) reacts after a defensive play during the third quarter against the Toledo Rockets at Kroger Field. Mandatory Credit: Jordan Prather-Imagn Images
Aug 30, 2025; Lexington, Kentucky, USA; Kentucky Wildcats linebacker Alex Afari Jr. (3) reacts after a defensive play during the third quarter against the Toledo Rockets at Kroger Field. Mandatory Credit: Jordan Prather-Imagn Images | IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect

In this story:

Following a previous court ruling by a judge in Colorodo that gave class of 2022 athletes an additional fifth year of eligibility, things took a turn on Friday. Kentucky linebacker Alex Afari Jr. was practicing with the team all week following that ruling, but on Friday, that protection was removed thanks to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals granting the NCAA's request for a stay in the case.

Now, Afari is no longer eligible and will have to go through some big hurdles to try and overturn that. As a result, the veteran linebacker is no longer practicing with the Kentucky football team, head coach Will Stein announced on Saturday. Stein then went in-depth on the situation, one that seems to fluctuate every other day. There's still a way Afari can become eligible, but it's going to involve more court cases. Stein himself says he, Kentucky and Afari are all in limbo waiting to see what ultimately happens with all of the rulings going on. But as of now, he is not eligible and Kentucky is moving forward with the roster it has.

Will Stein
Kentucky head football coach Will Stein speaks during a news conference before the start of fall camp in Lexington, Ky., on Aug. 3, 2026. Stein discussed the Wildcats' offseason preparation and the start of preseason practice. | USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

"It’s TBD. You know as much as I do,” Stein said on Saturday. "We’ll monitor it and act accordingly. He was obviously practicing with us and getting prepped, but I think everybody’s still in limbo, trying to figure it all out and waiting for these rulings to happen. We will be ready to roll whatever side is ruled on."

Will Stein
Jul 20, 2026; Tampa, FL, USA; Kentucky Wildcats head coach Will Stein speaks to the press during SEC Football Kickoff Media Day at the Tampa Marriott. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images | IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect

Until the NCAA's request was granted, the Colorado court case ruled in favor of the judge, but was stayed pending until the Court of Appeals ruled on it. The ruling previously meant that all class of 2022 athletes would be granted a fifth-year -- in compliance with the transfer portal window, that is. But now, those athletes who were not involved in their own TRO, which Afari is not, will have to fight and find another way to try and get eligible. To compare things, that's why Mark Mitchell was ruled eligible. He was a part of the case in Louisville that involved a TRO and was a state lawsuit. Afari will have to do something similar in order to try and become eligible.

But, as we continue to wait during what has been a whirlwind of a few weeks with cases all over the place, Kentucky football is moving forward and not slowing down to wait for Afari's eligibility with the season literally just two weeks away.

Sign up to our free newsletter and follow us on Facebook and YouTube for the latest news.

Add us as a preferred source on Google

Loading recommendations... Please wait while we load personalized content recommendations


Published
Wyatt Huff
WYATT HUFF

University of Kentucky Basketball and Football beat writer.

Share on XFollow Wildcat_wave