Michigan State Has A Quarterback Conundrum Heading Into Ohio State Game

The Spartans relied on a two-quarterback system in their win over Nebraska last week, but the decision on how to use true freshman Sam Leavitt for the rest of the year will impact his future at MSU...
Michigan State Has A Quarterback Conundrum Heading Into Ohio State Game
Michigan State Has A Quarterback Conundrum Heading Into Ohio State Game

Nothing has gone according to plan in 2023 for Michigan State football, including quarterback competition which began all the way back in spring practice.

Incumbent starter Payton Thorne transferred to Auburn and was supplanted by redshirt junior Noah Kim. However, a combination of poor play and injuries ended Kim's tenure as the Spartans starting quarterback, and redshirt freshman Katin Houser has been the guy ever since.

But, the carousel  at quarterback has not ended there.

Houser, despite coming off the best game of his MSU career in last week's 20-17 win over Nebraska, has split reps with true freshman Sam Leavitt over the last couple weeks. Both young quarterbacks have had their ups and downs, but Michigan State interim head coach Harlon Barnett, offensive coordinator Jay Johnson and Leavitt have to make a decision about what's best for the true freshman's career for the remainder of this season.

Leavitt has played in four games already in 2023, the maximum allowed if he is going to maintain a redshirt season. With Michigan State likely out of the hunt for bowl contention, is it worth it to burn a season of Leavitt's eligibility to allow him to continue playing this season?

That's what needs to be resolved before the Spartans head to Columbus this weekend to take on No. 1 Ohio State.

"We haven't talked about that," Barnett said after the Nebraska game, referring to the discussion on what to do with Leavitt going forward. " We just have to look at it, moving forward, how we want to do it. But we'll make the best decision that's good for the team, best for the team, and so will the players."

Leavitt too was asked what his preference would be — maintain a year of eligibility, or continue to play this season?

"I've definitely given it thought," the freshman said. "I haven't made any decisions yet. I've just got to go home and talk to my parents and my family, Coach Barnett and Johnson, and figure everything out. So, we'll see what happens."

Leavitt was asked if the decision was difficult, or if he was torn in two different directions over it.

"Yeah, in a sense," he replied. "You've just got to do what's best for you and the team, so, just having those conversations and figuring out what the best path is."

The problem is, what's best for this 2023 Michigan State team and what's best for Leavitt (and the program as a whole) are probably two different answers. 

There's no doubt this year's team is better with Leavitt available. Michigan State is still likely without Kim this weekend, as he continues to recover from injury. That leaves Houser as the only scholarship quarterback available if Leavitt decides to shut it down for the year. Walk-on quarterback Andrew Schorfhaar is the only other guy in the quarterback room.

"You still have Schorfhaar as a player for us playing quarterback as well," Barnett said on Monday, when asked if wide receiver Alante Brown could be used as an 'emergency option' at quarterback. "So, we'll stand pat but no decisions have really been ultimately made concerning Sam yet. We'll just keep working."

Barnett said no decision regarding Leavitt's future had been made as of Monday.

"You know we can't share that information. Keep [Ohio State] preparing," Barnett said. "But, no, we're going to do what's best for the team, that's what [Sam] wants to do as well, and for him as well. So, we're still working through it to be honest with you."

There's two reasons why Leavitt could choose to use a redshirt season. Firstly, we don't know for a fact that the freshman will be on the roster in 2024. As Michigan State searches for a new head coach, Leavitt could opt to continue his college career elsewhere. If that's what he ultimately decides to do, having a full four years of eligibility gives him a clean slate at his next program.

But, even if Leavitt remains at Michigan State (and there's nothing at this point which would indicate he will leave), it may be more beneficial for the Spartans' program to have the freshman for a full four seasons. In laymen's terms — it may be worth it for MSU to punt on what has already been a lost year in 2023 to prepare for the future.

But where does that leave Houser?

If Michigan State retains both young quarterbacks through the transition to a new head coach, Houser and Leavitt will again compete for the starting role in 2024. That's a best case scenario for the Spartans, but in today's college football with the transfer portal, it's difficult to keep two quality quarterbacks of similar age on your roster.

There's little doubt that Houser will be the starter this Saturday against Ohio State. Does it make sense to burn Leavitt's redshirt in a game in which Michigan State is a 31.5-point underdog? Is it worth it in a game next week at Indiana, or the following week against No. 10 Penn State? That's what Leavitt and his coaches have to decide in the coming days.

For more coverage of Michigan State Athletics:

Loading recommendations... Please wait while we load personalized content recommendations