Our Weekly Look at Your Spartans in the NFL
- All three Spartan players involved the Browns-Bengals matchup on Sunday started: Kyle Cook was at center and Domato Peko was at defensive tackle for the Bengals, while Robaire Smith was at defensive end for the Browns. Smith and the Browns beat the Bengals, 23-20.
- Chargers nose tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo played in a 41-10 trouncing of the Cardinals.
- Kellen Davis played at tight end for the Bears in a 17-3 defeat at the hands of the Giants.
- Strong safety Eric Smith of the Jets had two special teams tackles in a 38-14 thrashing of the Bills.
- Devin Thomas, a wide receiver for the Redskins, returned one kickoff for twenty-four yards in the â€˜Skins 17-12 triumph over the Eagles.
- In a clash between rival teams Steelers and Ravens, three Michigan State alums started. Right tackle Flozell Adams was the lone Spartan starter on the Steelers, while defensive tackle Brandon McKinney (one assist in the contest) and wide receiver Derrick Mason lined up for the Ravens. Mason racked up six catches for eighty yards and also had a tackle in the Ravensâ€™ 17-14 win.
- Raiders defensive back Jeremy Ware was not active for the Raidersâ€™ 31-24 loss to the Texans.
- There were two Spartans in the Lions-Packers game on Sunday. Both alums- quarterback Drew Stanton and linebacker Julian Peterson- were on the Lionsâ€™ sideline. Stanton was not active, while Peterson recorded two tackles and two assists in a 28-26 Packers win.
- Peyton Manningâ€™s newfound target, Blair White, had two receptions for twenty yards (and a tackle) in the Coltsâ€™ stunning 31-28 loss to the Jaguars.
- In the Broncosâ€™ 26-20 victory over the Titans, there were three Spartan alums involved. For the Broncos, Renaldo Hill started and recorded two tackles, an assist, and a pass defended. Defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson also started for Denver, racking up three tackles and three assists. For the Titans, Javon Ringer broke out on a fifty-four yard run, but only had two carries in the game.
- Defensive tackle Clifton Ryan was not active for the Ramsâ€™ 20-3 win over the Seahawks. Fellow Spartan alum Chris Baker started at wide out (he normally plays tight end) for Seattle, catching one pass for eight yards.
- In the Monday nightâ€™s Patriots-Dolphins game, both quarterback Brian Hoyer and punter Brandon Fields saw the field. Fields booted one ball for twenty-seven yards, but had a punt blocked. Hoyer was on the field near the end of the game in the Patriotsâ€™ 41-14 thrashing of the Dolphins.
Note: Center Chris Morris was picked up by the Panthers on 9/29, but was inactive in Carolinaâ€™s 16-14 defeat at the hands of the Saints.Â