The Huskers appear to have their top guy at running back for the season opener, but they aren't saying who it is.
Offensive coordinator Matt Lubick indicated after Tuesday's practice that the field of top contenders had been narrowed to a top man ready to shoulder the bulk of the carries when Nebraska takes on Illinois in Champaign on Saturday. The most likely candidates appear to be Sevion Morrison, Markese Stepp and Gabe Ervin.
On defense, coordinator Erik Chinander wasn't ready to identify a starter at the cornerback spot opposite Cam Taylor-Britt, where Quinton Newsome and Braxton Clark are battling it out. "I know it sounds like we’re holding something back," Chinander said, "but that thing is pretty tight right now."
Refresh this page to get the latest coverage below, and follow the HuskerMax discussion here. Asterisk indicates an item may require a subscription.
- Omaha World-Herald* | One Husker running back will get most of the carries. But who will it be?
- Hail Varsity | Open Positions Becoming More Clear as Nebraska Preps for Illinois
- Husker247 | Tuesday Nebraska football practice quick hits
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Red Report: Starting RB to stay secret; added challenge; Reimer reflects; Tuioti's six
- Nebraska Athletics | Lubick Discusses Energy of Game Week
- Omaha World-Herald* | Husker notes: 'Fluid' recruiting, depth on the lines and a steamy weather forecast
- Omaha World-Herald* | Little separating Quinton Newsome, Braxton Clark for starting cornerback spot
- Husker247 | Whatever wrinkles Illini have, Husker defenders know 'rules ball' matters most
- Lincoln Journal Star* | The reason for newly minted NU captain Damion Daniels' ascension? 'He's full throttle every single day'
- Omaha World-Herald | Nebraska is expecting a season-opening test from Illinois and its 22 super seniors
- Omaha World-Herald | Bland/Watkins
- Lincoln Journal Star | Sipple/Gabriel Four Downs
- Lincoln Journal Star | Sipple/Gabriel Two-Minute Drill
- Hail Varsity | Sorensen/Smith
- HuskerOnline | Sean Callahan