Coach Scott Frost said Monday that Nebraska wasn't expecting an even defensive front from Illinois, and “about half of our game plan was out the window when they lined up how they did.”
"But, hey, we got to be better," Frost said. "We have to establish the run. We have to be ahead in the game so we can commit to the run."
Frost and several players spoke after Monday's practice, two days after the 30-22 loss in Champaign.
“I hope nobody lost excitement after Saturday. This team has a chance to be really good,” Frost said. “If there’s still some tickets out there, buy them up and come watch this team.”
Quarterback Adrian Martinez said the Huskers "are going to get this right, so stick with us. We are going to play our tails off every week."
Refresh this page to get the latest additions. Go here for the HuskerMax discussion. Asterisk indicates item may require subscription.
- Omaha World-Herald | Adam Carriker: Let's chill on the get-rid-of-Frost talk (video)
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Steven M. Sipple: Bielema outfoxes Frost and 3 other takeaways from news conference
- Omaha World-Herald* | Tom's Takes: A strange home opener; Tests of mental toughness; A touching Adrian Martinez story
- Hail Varsity | Half of Illinois Game Plan 'Out the Window,' per Frost, as Huskers Reflect on Loss
- Husker247 | Husker Quick Hits: What were Frost's thoughts after film review?
- Associated Press | Losing ways put Huskers' record sellout streak in jeopardy
- HuskerOnline | Five things we learned from NU's weekly press conference
- Hail Varsity | Nebraska Offense Making Group Effort to Improve on Run Game Struggles
- Husker247 | Martinez wants to deliver more moving ahead, and expects it
- Hail Varsity | 'Champion Mindset' Helped Gabe Ervin Jr. Become First True Freshman Running Back To Start a Nebraska Season Opener
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Red Report: Sticking with Taylor-Britt on punt return; consistency key for Betts; changing scenery; RB separation
- Omaha World-Herald* | Huskers 'locked in' at Monday's practice to correct Saturday's mistakes
- Omaha World-Herald* | Adrian Martinez: 'I've got to improve, simple as that'
- Omaha World-Herald* | As reality fails to meet expectations, Huskers vow to 'keep pushing'
- Nebraska Athletics | Press conference transcripts
- Omaha World-Herald* | Husker notes: O-line must be better; First starts for Newsome, Sichterman; Message for young WRs
- Lincoln Journal Star | Having half the game plan go 'out the window' hindered Huskers, but OLs say they can improve, too
- Omaha World-Herald* | With concern over sellout streak, Huskers call for fan support: 'We need you there'
- Lincoln Journal Star* | With 375-game sellout streak in question, Husker HC Frost says, 'We need you there'
- Omaha World-Herald | Sam McKewon & Tom Shatel
- Lincoln Journal Star | Sipple/Gabriel Four Downs
- Lincoln Journal Star | Sipple/Gabriel Two-Minute Drill