Defensive coordinator Erik Chinander said Tuesday that Sunday's scrimmage, the first of fall camp, went well for the defense.
"I thought we tackled pretty well ... and that's what you want to see when you go live," he said, adding that the defense forced a couple of turnovers.
He said a starting eleven is not quite solidified yet, and battles are ongoing for the top backup spots among a deep pool of talented players: "Are you that next guy in, and can you play special teams?"
Depth was a recurring theme with Chinander and others who spoke after Tuesday's practice, which took place in sweltering conditions.
Defensive lineman Casey Rogers said the competition "is as healthy as can be and as fierce as can be." D-line coach Tony Tuioti said Damion Daniels is having his best camp yet and has improved from being capable of just two or three consecutive reps to seven or eight.
Addressing the defensive backs' performance in Sunday's scrimmage, coach Travis Fisher said: "I think there’s always room to get better but to go out in the stadium the way they did and compete and fly around and have fun, it was rewarding to see."
Refresh this page for the latest updates, and follow the HuskerMax discussion here.
Scenes from practice
- Lincoln Journal Star | Red Report: Defense performs well in scrimmage; Hutmacher on deck; Johnson finding spot
- Omaha World-Herald | How deep is Nebraska's defense? Huskers say second-teamers could be starters
- Husker247 | Husker Quick Hits: Chinander gives scrimmage thoughts; 'take my job' challenges from vets
- Hail Varsity | Healthy Competition for Huskers' Defense Following First Scrimmage of Fall Camp
- Nebraska Athletics | Chinander Emphasizes Depth of Defense
- Husker247 | Riley in the mix after summer spent reshaping body
- Omaha World-Herald | Notes: For Nebraska's defensive backs, there's 'no time to give praise'
- Omaha World-Herald | The 'heavyweight champs' of Nebraska's defense have some heavy lifting to do
- Lincoln Journal Star | After injury-riddled 2020 seasons, DLs Thomas and Riley figure to factor up front
- Husker247 | Newsome driven to win starting job as competition keeps showing up
- KETV | Junior Deontre Thomas expected to be in 6-man rotation for Nebraska's defensive line this fall
- Husker247 | Deontre Thomas is healthy and expecting to play his best football
- Lincoln Journal Star | Sipple & Gabriel Two-Minute Drill
- Lincoln Journal Star | Sipple & Gabriel Four Downs
- Omaha World-Herald | Sam McKewon recap
- HuskerOnline | Sean Callahan recap