Nebraska football coach Scott Frost announced Monday that four-year starting quarterback Adrian Martinez will miss the Black Friday game against Iowa with an injury.
Martinez briefly left Saturday's Wisconsin game with a shoulder injury but returned after halftime to play the rest of the game.
"I didn't expect him to play in the second half," Frost said. "He came up to me right before the second half kickoff and said he wanted to go.
"Feel terrible for him."
Martinez has started every game this season. His absence opens the door for the first career start for freshman Logan Smothers.
"Logan's earned the right to be the guy," Frost said.
Smothers, who didn't see the field in 2020, has appeared in five games in 2021. He has completed 7 of 11 passes for 119 yards and run for 69 yards on 13 carries.
Frost said Smothers isn't a "fresh-faced kid that’s going to be surprised. ... He knows our offense and how to operate it, so we'll get him the ball and let him do it."
True freshman Heinrich Haarberg will also be available. The Kearney Catholic product has yet to play in a game at Nebraska. Frost said both quarterbacks practiced well Monday.
Martinez became Nebraska's career leader in total offense during Saturday's 35-. He has not said whether he will return for a fifth season.
Much more from Monday's press conference is in the links below. Refresh this page for the latest updates. Go here for the HuskerMax discussion. Asterisk indicates item may require a subscription.
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Steven M. Sipple: We can become callous about injuries, but Martinez's news is heartbreaker
- Omaha World-Herald* | Tom Shatel: Is this really how the Adrian Martinez era comes to an end?
- Omaha World-Herald | Adam Carriker's gut reaction to Adrian Martinez being out against Iowa (video)
- HuskerOnline | Nebraska Football: Five things we learned from NU's weekly press conference
- HuskerOnline | Nebraska quarterback Adrian Martinez is out for Friday's game against Iowa.
- Hail Varsity | Adrian Martinez Won't Be Available Against Iowa, More from Frost as Huskers Prep for Hawkeyes
- Hail Varsity | With Martinez Out, Backup Quarterbacks Smothers, Haarberg Prepared to Play
- Husker247 | Frost at the mic: Focused only on Iowa at the moment, running back situation, and more
- Husker247 | For Austin Allen, his decision on 2022 isn't so simple
- Husker247 | Husker 'Senior Day' walks could offer some 2022 clues
- Daily Nebraskan | On short week, Husker football readies for Senior Day without Adrian Martinez
- Nebraska Athletics | Press conference transcripts
- Lincoln Journal Star* | 'I feel terrible for him': Husker QB Adrian Martinez out vs. Iowa, surgery likely after right shoulder injury
- Lincoln Journal Star* | It's Logan Smothers time: 'Really sharp' Husker freshman QB prepares for first start
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Red Report: Running back issues; attacking the run; ready for the rivalry; 'popcorn' football
- Lincoln Journal Star* | The word with Ben Stille: The benefit of playing 30 minutes from home; a future in football; word association
- Omaha World-Herald* | Husker notes: Juniors face decisions on future; Rahmir Johnson likely out again
- Lincoln Journal Star | Two-Minute Drill
- Lincoln Journal Star | Four Downs
- Omaha World-Herald | McKewon & Shatel
From the other side
- Hawkeye Insider | Iowa football releases updated depth chart ahead of Nebraska
- Hawkeye Insider | Looking at Nebraska's quarterback situation ahead of Iowa game with Adrian Martinez out
- Iowa Athletics | Game Notes: Iowa at Nebraska
- Cedar Rapids Gazette* | Spencer Petras returns to Hawkeyes’ depth chart as backup quarterback
Click on name to see transcript