Trev Alberts is returning to Lincoln as Nebraska's athletic director.
The university introduced the former Husker All-America linebacker at a press conference Wednesday morning. View it below.
Alberts won the Butkus Award in 1993 as the nation's top linebacker. In 2015, entered the College Football Hall of Fame.
He was a unanimous first-team All-American in his senior season and was named the Big Eight Defensive Player of the Year and Male Athlete of the Year. Off the field, he was a first-team Academic All-American and received the NCAA Today Top Six Award -- the NCAA's highest honor -- and multiple postgraduate scholarships.
Alberts was selected with the fifth pick in the 1994 NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts and spent three seasons with the franchise. After his playing career, Alberts was a college football analyst for ESPN and CBS Sports Network. In 2009, he was named director of athletics at University of Nebraska at Omaha, where he led the school's transition to Division I status. That included the controversial elimination of UNO's football and wrestling programs.
Nebraska's A.D. post opened up with the departure of Bill Moos at the end of June.
- Omaha World-Herald | Adam Carriker's gut reaction (video)
- Omaha World-Herald | Sam McKewon: Scott Frost's new boss knows all about Husker football glory
- Omaha World-Herald | Dirk Chatelain: Trev Alberts has more qualifications than a Tom Osborne seal of approval
- Omaha World-Herald | Sam McKewon on the impact of the hire (video)
- HuskerOnline | Sean Callahan: Five takes on Nebraska's hire of Trev Alberts as Athletic Director
- Hail Varsity | Derek Peterson: Trev Alberts Can Find Success Not by Following 'the Nebraska Way,' but if He Stays True to His Way
- Lincoln Journal Star | Steven M. Sipple: Alberts cares deeply for NU, and that's a great place to start conversation
- Hail Varsity | Greg Smith: the Impact of a New Athletic Director on Recruiting
- Omaha World-Herald | Tom Shatel: Whether in a suit or jersey, Trev Alberts is always ready to tackle big things
- Lincoln Journal Star | 'I love this place:' Trev Alberts ready to get to work after being introduced as Nebraska's new AD
- Husker247 | New Huskers AD Alberts: 'It has to be earned. We'll get to work.'
- Lincoln Journal Star | Reaction from the state and nation
- Omaha World-Herald | New Nebraska A.D. Trev Alberts: 'I love this place'
- Omaha World-Herald | How UNO teams performed during Trev Alberts' time as athletic director
- Lincoln Journal Star | Trev Alberts timeline: From Blackshirt to Nebraska AD
- 247Sports | Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren: New Nebraska AD Trev Alberts an 'ideal selection'
- Omaha World-Herald | Who was on Nebraska's athletic director search committee?
- Lincoln Journal Star | From initial pool of 25 candidates to final decision, Alberts was always at top of NU's list
- HuskerOnline | Reactions to Nebraska's new Athletic Director Trev Alberts
- Hail Varsity | Current Student-Athletes Contributed to Nebraska's Search Advisory Committee
- Hail Varsity | Fred Hoiberg, Will Bolt and Austin Allen Offer Thoughts on Nebraska's Hire of Trev Alberts
- HuskerOnline | Trev Alberts has clear goals in emotional return as Nebraska AD
- Omaha World-Herald | Tom Osborne's advice led Trev Alberts to the job he once held
- Lincoln Journal Star | Trev Alberts says he is 'all-in' on Husker football; Scott Frost says they 'share a love of Nebraska'
- Omaha World-Herald | A bittersweet day for UNO as Trev Alberts leaves for Nebraska: 'We're losing a great leader'
- Omaha World-Herald | University officials say Trev Alberts is 'right leader at the right time'
- Omaha World-Herald | Husker coaches, athletes unite behind new A.D. Trev Alberts
- Nebraska Athletics | Press conference transcript
- Lincoln Journal Star | Alberts' intimate knowledge of NU an important piece for Husker coaches
- Omaha World-Herald | Trev Alberts ready to 'go to work' as Nebraska's new athletic director