The shot to the jaw Adrian Martinez took Saturday against Michigan State won’t keep him out of the Northwestern game, Nebraska coach Scott Frost said after Thursday's practice.
Martinez missed a series after the first-quarter hit but finished the game.
“I’ve heard some of the rumors. ... Ridiculous rumors,” Frost said. “‘He probably has lupus and leprosy and smallpox and all these other things.’ He's fine. He’s going to play. He’s a heck of a player and really tough guy.”
As for the competition on the offensive line this week, Frost said: “I really like the pad level the guys played with. We paid attention to that, and seeing them come off the ball with low pads seemed to make a pretty big difference. So we’ll have a lot of options and I expect a lot of guys to play well.” Broc Bando may be part of the mix after being sidelined by illnesses.
At punter, Frost said Daniel Cerni and Will Przystup both kicked well this week in practice but need to do that “when the game is happening. ... I just want to see somebody punt the ball that, when the chips are down, they’re going to do what they’re supposed to do.”
Overall, he said, “the guys are excited. They believe in their team and what we’re doing and it will all come together.”
Refresh this page to be sure you're seeing the latest additions. Go here for the HuskerMax conversation. Asterisk indicates item may require subscription.
- Husker247 | Frost Hits: No hangover showing on this Husker team
- Hail Varsity | Frost Talks O-Line and the Punters Ahead of Northwestern
- Nebraska Athletics | Frost Talks about Team Ahead of Northwestern Game
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Red Report: Frost talks OL shuffle and pad level, 'ridiculous rumors' and his 'tough as nails' QB
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Steven M. Sipple: Martinez's intangibles part of reason he's moved toward top of B1G's QB list
- Omaha World-Herald* | No truth to 'ridiculous rumors' about Adrian Martinez's health, Scott Frost says
- Lincoln Journal Star | Parker Gabriel Four Downs
- Lincoln Journal Star | Parker Gabriel Two-Minute Drill
From the other side
- Wildcats Daily | Can Northwestern's Floundering Defense Slow Down Nebraska's Top-Ranked Offense?
- Stay Alive In Power 5 | Pat Fitzgerald preparing team for a battle in Lincoln
- Daily Northwestern | Northwestern football readies for strong Nebraska defense