Quarterback Adrian Martinez had his season-ending shoulder surgery Wednesday, and the availability of a few other starters appeared iffy 48 hours before Nebraska's kickoff against Iowa.
Coach Scott Frost said it's a "tight" situation as to whether running back Rahmir Johnson and saftey Deontai Williams will play Friday. Johnson missed the Wisconsin game Saturday, and Williams has missed three starts in a row.
Defensive tackle Damion Daniels, who left the Wisconsin game with an injury, could get some snaps Friday, Frost said.
Frost said there won't be "wholesale changes" on offense with freshman Logan Smothers at quarterback. "We're just going to put him in the best stuff to try to be efficient on offense," he said. "Some of that has to do with what he does well and what we feel good about him doing, and other things about what Iowa does."
As for Martinez's potential return for a fifth season with the Huskers in 2022, Frost said: "I don’t think that decision will take too long. I want what’s best for the program and definitely want what’s best for Adrian."
More from Frost's post-practice comments Wednesday is in the links below. Refresh this page for the latest updates. Go here for the HuskerMax discussion. Asterisk indicates item may require a subscription.
- HuskerOnline | NU ready to roll with Smothers
- Husker247 | Frost expects Martinez decision won't take too long; talks injuries and Iowa challenge
- Hail Varsity | Frost Talks Offense Under Smothers, Iowa Defense and More
- Nebraska Athletics | Frost Prepares for Final Game of Season
- Lincoln Journal Star* | Red Report: Surgery Wednesday for QB Adrian Martinez; Logan Smothers ready; injury updates for others
- Omaha World-Herald* | Logan Smothers faces 'good opportunity' with first career start, Scott Frost says
- Lincoln Journal Star | Four Downs
- Lincoln Journal Star | Two-Minute Drill
- Hail Varsity | Sorensen/Smith/Marik
From the other side
- Hawkeye Report | Behind Enemy Lines
- Hawkeye Insider | "He's fast, I know that": Iowa preparing for Nebraska backup quarterback Logan Smothers
- Des Moines Register* | Iowa's offense is improving in November. Can they put it all together against Nebraska?
- Cedar Rapids Gazette* | Iowa vs. Nebraska pick: Martinez-less Huskers help Hawkeyes’ odds in Lincoln