WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — After going 2-1 in three games this past week, Purdue found itself slipping slightly in this week's Associated Press Top 25 basketball poll. Now ranked as the No. 6 team in the nation, the Boilermakers have now been ranked inside the top 10 for 12 straight weeks, which extends a program record.
Purdue was among five Big Ten programs ranked inside the top 25, including No. 10 Michigan State, No. 11 Wisconsin, No. 16 Ohio State and No. 24 Illinois. Indiana and Iowa also received votes.
Following a double-overtime victory on the road against the Fighting Illini, the Boilers lost their first game to the Hoosiers in six years, falling 68-65 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall last Thursday.
Purdue returned home Sunday afternoon for a matchup with Northwestern and picked up a 20-point victory without sophomore guard Jaden Ivey. The team is back in action Thursday on the road against Iowa.
AP Top 25 College Basketball Poll, Jan. 25
Here is the Week 12 Associated Press Top 25 college basketball poll, with Big Ten teams in bold.
- Auburn (18-1)
- Gonzaga (15-2)
- Arizona (16-1)
- Baylor (17-2)
- Kansas (16-2)
- Purdue (16-3)
- UCLA (13-2)
- Houston (17-2)
- Duke (15-3)
- Michigan State (15-3)
- Wisconsin (15-3)
- Kentucky (15-4)
- Texas Tech (15-4)
- Villanova (14-5)
- USC (16-2)
- Ohio State (12-4)
- Providence (16-2)
- Tennessee (13-5)
- LSU (15-4)
- Connecticut (13-4)
- Xavier (14-4)
- Marquette (14-6)
- Iowa State (14-5)
- Illinois (13-5)
- Davidson (16-2)
Others receiving votes:
BYU 120, Alabama 77, Texas 61, Colorado State 57, Florida State 50, Loyola Chicago 21, Oregon 19, Wake Forest 12, Murray State 10, Indiana 10, Iowa 8, TCU 6, Miami (FL) 4, Saint Mary's 3, Boise State 3, Florida 3, Wyoming 2, Seton Hall 1, Iona 1
Stories Related to Purdue Basketball
- SASHA LIVE! PODCAST EPISODE 11 TUESDAY NIGHT: Purdue guard Sasha Stefanovic is back behind the microphone on Tuesday night for the 11th episode of the Sasha Live! Podcast, live from Mad Mushroom Pizza in West Lafayette. The show starts at 7 p.m. ET, and can be watched live in person or online. CLICK HERE
- BOILERS TOP NORTHWESTERN: Senior guard Sasha Stefanovic was 6-10 from the 3-point line and added four free throws to lead Purdue to a 20-point victory over Northwestern on Sunday at Mackey Arena. He was one of four Boilermakers to end the game in double figures. CLICK HERE
- MATT PAINTER UNSURE WHEN JADEN IVEY WILL RETURN: After an 80-60 Purdue victory over Northwestern at Mackey Arena, coach Matt Painter said he wasn't sure when star sophomore Jaden Ivey would be ready to play after missing the matchup due to injury. CLICK HERE
- HOW PURDUE FAILED TO CLOSE OUT AGAINST INDIANA: No. 4 Purdue led Indiana by two points with a minute left to play Thursday night at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The Boilermakers had opportunities to close out the Hoosiers, but the team was unable to put the game away in the waning seconds. CLICK HERE
- PURDUE DROPS ROAD MATCHUP AGAINST INDIANA: Purdue basketball was unable to put away Indiana on the road Thursday night at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Sophomore guard Jaden Ivey scored a team-high 21 points in the loss, but 20 points from Rob Phinisee propelled the Hoosiers to victory. CLICK HERE