WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Last year, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, many collegiate athletic departments suffered financially due to shortened schedules and capacity limitations inside stadiums.
Even with all the chaos, the Big Ten Conference led the nation in generated revenue according to a recent report from USA Today's Steve Berkowitz. The league was followed by the SEC, PAC-12, ACC and Big 12.
The Big Ten benefited from television deals with the Big Ten Network, FOX and ESPN, leading the conference to higher total revenue and school payouts in recent years.
According to Berkowitz, the Big Ten's total revenue was a drop from 2019, but it was still about $40 million higher than the SEC. The conference lowered payouts to its 12 longest-standing members by about $1.3 million per school to $54.3 million.
The Power 5 conference's combined revenue increased by less than $11 million after seeing a rise in annual increases of nearly $252 million over the previous six years.
Here are the numbers from the 2020 fiscal year:
- Big Ten: $768.9 million
- SEC: $728.9 million
- Pac-12: $533.8 million
- ACC: $496.7 million
- Big 12: $409.2 million
- Big Ten: $54.3 million
- SEC: $45.5 million
- Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million
- Pac-12: $33.6 million
- ACC: $30.9 to $37 million
Recent Stories From Boilermakers Country
- PURDUE BASEBALL LIGHTS UP THE SCOREBOARD: Purdue leadoff hitter Mike Bolton Jr. scored four times in a 17-4 victory over Minnesota on Saturday. The Boilermakers recorded a season-high 19 hits. CLICK HERE
- PURDUE DB RE-ENTERS TRANSFER PORTAL: Geovonte' Howard originally put his name in the transfer portal before the team's season finale against Indiana in December. He re-entered the portal on Saturday. CLICK HERE
- SIMINGTON RECORDS FOUR HITS AGAINST TERRAPINS: Purdue senior Miles Simington is the first Boilermaker to hit multiple grand slams in his career since Kyle Johnson. He was a triple away from a cycle in the victory over Minnesota on Friday. CLICK HERE
- PURDUE TO PLAY NORTH CAROLINA: Purdue joins North Carolina, Villanova and Tennessee in a stacked field for the 2021 Hall of Fame Tip-Off at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut. CLICK HERE