WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Purdue football lost a big-time prospect in the class of 2023 as four-star quarterback Rickie Collins announced he was decommitting from the program Monday night.
Collins, who originally committed to the Boilermakers in October of 2021, has since received offers from Georgia Tech, Nebraska, Washington, Oregon and Florida State. The rising senior out of Woodlawn High School in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, currently holds 18 offers, including one from his hometown college of LSU.
The 6-foot-2, 190-pound Collins is a top-200 overall recruit in the country and the No. 13 quarterback in the class of 2023, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. He took an official visit to Purdue on June 3.
Collins was one of several high school quarterbacks to take part in the 2022 Elite 11 Finals in Los Angeles. During his junior season at Woodlawn, he Threw for just shy of 2,000 yards a year after accounting for 1,449 yards and 16 touchdowns in five games as a sophomore.
However, if Collins were to join the Boilermakers for the 2023 season, he would have likely been in a crowded quarterback room competing against former four-star recruit Brady Allen, among others.
Before Collins' decision to reopen his commitment, he spearheaded a 2023 recruiting class for Purdue that ranked 31st in the country. He was the only four-star recruit set to join the team, but now he will likely take his talents elsewhere in search of a better fit.
Stories Related to Purdue Football
- PURDUE FOOTBALL ANNOUNCES 2022 FALL CAMP SCHEDULE: Purdue football opens fall camp on Tuesday, Aug. 2, and will have 18 practices before its season opener against Penn State. Here's the full schedule breakdown for practices open to the media and public. CLICK HERE
- PURDUE SURPASSES 36,000 SEASON TICKETS SOLD FOR 2022 SEASON: Purdue football has sold more than 36,000 season tickets before the start of the 2022 season, the most since 2008. The team opens against Penn State at Ross-Ade Stadium on Thursday, Sept. 1. CLICK HERE
- BIG TEN FOOTBALL MEDIA DAYS PHOTO GALLERY: A look at several of the players and coaches that were made available this week during the 2022 Big Ten Football Media Days inside Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. CLICK HERE
- JAMES FRANKLIN: PURDUE "WILL BE A TREMENDOUS CHALLENGE": Purdue and Penn State are scheduled to open their seasons on Thursday, Sept. 1, at 8 p.m. ET inside Ross-Ade Stadium. The Nittany Lions will open their season against a Big Ten opponent for the third consecutive season. CLICK HERE
- WHAT JEFF BROHM SAID DURING BIG TEN FOOTBALL MEDIA DAYS: Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm kicked off the second day of Big Ten Football Media Days at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. He discussed a variety of topics, including the team's Week 1 matchup with Penn State. CLICK HERE
Big Ten Daily
- AUG. 1: Penn State is set to begin training camp on Monday, gearing up for its season-opener on the road against Purdue. In other news around the conference, Michigan State earns the commitment of a four-star receiver while a four-star recruit decommits from Nebraska. CLICK HERE