Week 17 of the NFL season hasn’t even kicked off yet, and coaches are already being fired. The Philadelphia Eagles fired Chip Kelly Tuesday night, in a move that is likely to be the first of many firings to come.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Leading up to Kelly’s firing, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie spoke to several players about him, including running back DeMarco Murray, who said he had no confidence in Kelly, reports NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport.
• After his firing, Kelly told Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer he wants to remain in the NFL. He also said he doesn’t want to be in charge of personnel, as his desire for more control ultimately led to his unraveling with the Eagles.
• The New England Patriots have dealt with numerous injuries this season, but they received some good news Tuesday. CSN New England reports the ankle injury Sebastian Vollmer sustained is not severe and he’ll be back for the postseason.
• Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan announced Tuesday that head coach Gus Bradley will remain with the team in 2016.
• The wrist injury AJ McCarron sustained Monday night is just a sprain, meaning he could play Sunday against the Ravens, reports Rapoport. If McCarron doesn’t play Sunday, however, the Bengals only have Keith Wenning at quarterback on the 53-man roster.
• Amid speculation that both New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and head coach Sean Payton might not be back next season, Brees told NFL.com there is no scenario he sees in which he and Payton don’t return to New Orleans next year.
You May Like
Sign Up for our Newsletter
Don't get stuck on the sidelines! Sign up to get exclusives, daily highlights, analysis and more—delivered right to your inbox!