Colin Kaepernick threw 21 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in 2013. (Brian Bahr/Getty Images)
The San Francisco 49ers have put contract extension talks with star quarterback Colin Kaepernick "on hold," a week after he was part of a group of NFL players investigated in what police called a "suspicious incident."
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that the 49ers have tabled negotiations while the police investigation is ongoing. However, according to Rapoport, the goal of both sides remains to get a deal done before the start of the 2014 season.
Kaepernick was among three NFL players named — along with 49ers wide receiver Quinton Patton and Seattle Seahawks receiver Ricardo Lockette — in a report of a “suspicious incident” that took place a Miami hotel room. Kaepernick has denied any wrongdoing, and he took to social media late last week to defend himself against previous reporting that was soon walked back.
“They make things up about me that never happened," Kaepernick said. "I take great pride in who I am and what I do, but I guess sometimes you have to deal with someone who makes things up. I want to thank all of the people who have shared their encouraging sentiments. I assure you that your faith is not misplaced.”
Earlier this year, 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh said that a Kaepernick contract extension was a "priority."Kaepernick passed for 3,197 yards with 21 touchdowns and eight interceptions and also ran for 524 yards and four touchdowns last season.