TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — It's a rematch of the 2021 SEC Tournament championship game with the LSU Tigers in Tuscaloosa for a midweek SEC-matchup with Alabama in Coleman Coliseum.
Follow along here for live updates throughout the game.
Final: Alabama 70, No. 13 LSU 67
- Gaines' three-point attempt at the buzzer is wide, and Alabama holds on for the 70-67 win over No. 13 LSU.
- 5.2 seconds- Keon Ellis makes two free throws to give Alabama a three-point lead, 70-67.
- 5.8 seconds- Murray nails a three-pointer, and the Alabama lead is down to one. Timeout LSU.
- 0:16- Gurley is fouled with a four-point lead, and he also goes 1-2 from the line. He is 2-8 from the free throw line tonight.
- 0:18- Shackelford is fouled and goes 0-2 from the line, but LSU can't control the rebound, and Alabama maintains possession.
- 0:22- Gurley fouls Murray on a three-point attempt. He goes 2-3 from the line ,Alabama leads 68-64.
- 1:08- Eason continues carrying the load for the Tigers and is fouled on a dunk. LSU cuts it to 68-62. Eason has 26 points for the Tigers.
- 1:22- Gurley makes one free throw to push the Alabama lead to 68-60.
- 1:40- Miles wisely draws a foul while attempting a three-pointer as the shot clock is winding down. He goes 2-3 from the line, and the Alabama lead is up to 67-60
- 2:09- A layup from Murray ends the 7-0 run for Alabama. Crimson Tide up 65-60.
- 2:51- Gurley cleans up the missed three from Shackelford and slams it home. Alabama up 65-58.
- 3:42- Shackelford keeps up the offensive work with a layup through two defenders, and the Alabama lead is up to 63-58.
- Efton Reid fouls out for LSU on a person foul, and we are headed to the under-4 media timeout with Alabama holding a 61-58 lead.
- 4:02- Gurley is fouled on the opposite end of the floor and gets to shoot two free throws. He makes 1-2. Alabama is up 61-58.
- 4:31- Alabama retakes the lead on a layup from Shackelford, 60-58. He's up to 24 points.
- 4:47- Two free throws from Eason tie the game at 58-58. LSU is on a 14-1 run in less than two minutes of game time.
- 5:18 LSU can't miss from three as Brandon Murray sinks one, and the Alabama lead is down to two, 58-56.
- 5:29- Quinerly makes one free throw to make it 58-53 Alabama.
- 5:41 Gaines is on a personal 9-0 run over the last minute for the Tigers, and Alabama's lead is down to four, 57-53.
- Alabama has gone more than three minutes without a field goal.
- Make that back-to-back threes from Gaines, and the Alabama lead is quickly cut from 13 to 7. 57-50 Alabama
- 6:42- An Eric Gaines' three-pointer ends the scoring drought for LSU. Tigers have cut it to 10, 57-47
- Alabama is 0-12 from three in the second half but still holds a 13-point lead.
- The crowd in Coleman Coliseum is on its feet after the recent 8-0 run by the Crimson Tide and another turnover forced by the defense.
- 8:06- Will Wade is heated after he wants goal tending on Alabama, and he is given a technical foul. Shackelford converts both technical free throws and is back at the line for two more from the shooting foul on the previous play. Shackelford makes both of those free throws as well, and Alabama's lead is up to 57-44 over No. 13 LSU.
- 8:58- Alabama players were fighting and diving all over the floor for the offensive rebound, and the possession ends with Jaden Shackelford getting fouled while shooting. He makes both free throws, and Alabama now has its largest lead at 53-44.
- 9:41- Shackelford with the steal and layup puts the Crimson Tide up 51-44. This ties the largest lead of the game for Alabama. Will Wade calls timeout.
- 11:13- Davison with an aggressive drive to the paint for his second basket of the half. Alabama up 49-42.
- 12:12- Quinerly makes the front end of a one-and-one, and the Alabama lead grows to 47-41.
- 13:20- Ellis drives to the basket and is fouled. He converts the and-1 opportunity, and the Alabama lead is pushed to 46-41.
- 14:24- JQ shows off his signature jelly moves and drives right through an open lane to retake the lead for Alabama at 41-40.
- 15:55- Two free throws from Eason give the Tigers a 38-37 lead. Eason is up to 19 points.
- Juwan Gary will not return tonight according to Crimson Tide Sports Network radio host Roger Hoover.
- 16:27- Alabama answers with a drive and layup by Davison. Crimson Tide up 37-36.
- 16:37- Eason with the steal and slam to put the Tigers up 36-35.
- 18:40- Alabama gets a transition bucket and finally finishes an alley oop from Davison to Gurley. Alabama up 35-32
- Bediako misses a wide open dunk on Alabama's first possession of the half.
- Alabama goes with the game's starting lineup of Davison, Shackelford, Ellis, Gurley and Bediako to open the second half.
- HALFTIME: Alabama 33, No. 13 LSU 32
- Almost all of Alabama's scoring is coming from its three veteran guards Keon Ellis, Jaden Shackelford and Jahvon Quinerly. None of Alabama's bigs have entered the scoring column.
- Tari Eason has been an absolute pain for the Alabama defense, shooting 5-6 from the floor with 13 first-half points.
- 0:01- Alabama's five point lead is quickly shrunk as Ellis fouls Eason on the three-point shot as time winds down, and he converts the four-point play. It takes away a lot of the momentum the Crimson Tide could have had heading into the half. Alabama leads 33-32
- 0:29- Ellis is fouled hard away from the basket and makes two free throws as the Crimson Tide enters the bonus. Alabama leads 33-28.
- 0:55- Quinerly responds with a layup. He's up to 11 points. Alabama leads 31-28.
- 1:12- Justice Williams sinks a three for LSU, and the Alabama lead is cut to one, 29-28
- 1:54- Eason stops the bleeding for LSU with a tough layup. Alabama still up 29-25
- 2:13- Keon Ellis gets his own miss on a three and lays it in. Alabama leads 29-23
- At the under-4 timeout, Alabama's persistent shooting from beyond the arc is starting to pay off. The Crimson Tide is shooting 7-18 from three. Shackelford is shooting 3-4 and has 12 points. Alabama has only made one non-three-point field goal (Shackelford's layup.)
- 3:48- Shackelford sinks a DEEP three-pointer to give Alabama a 27-23. LSU turns it over on the other end, and the Coleman Coliseum crowd is starting to get into it.
- 4:17- Reid with an offesnvie rebound and layup to cut it to 24-23. Tigers now with nine second-chance points on six offensive rebounds.
- 4:55- Alabama responds with a three-pointer from Keon Ellis, his first of the game. Alabama up 24-21
- 5:14- Tigers tie the game at 21 on a field goal from Efton Reid.
- 6:13- Jahvon Quinerly answers with a three of his own, and Alabama retakes the lead at 21-19.
- 6:26 A three-pointer from Brandon Murray gives the Tigers a 19-18 lead.
- 7:47- Gurley misses both free throws as well.
- Eason misses both free throws for LSU, and Days fouls Gurley shooting a layup on the other end.
- Things have started to heat up for Alabama behind the arc at the under-8 timeout. The Crimson Tide leads 18-14, but LSU will be shooting two free throws coming out of the TV timeout. Alabama is on a 9-0 scoring run while it's been nearly four minutes since the Tigers scored.
- Juwan Gary goes down on a hard foul and is led by the training staff to the locker room. It appears that it might just be a nose bleed or face injury as he didn't need any assistance walking off the court.
- 8:12- Miles sinks a corner three and becomes the first player outside of Shackelford or Quinerly to score for Alabama. Crimson Tide leads 18-14.
- Make that three possessions in a row with a forced turnover by the Alabama defense.
- 9:53- Shackelford sinks a three as the shot clock is expiring, and Alabama retakes the lead at 15-14. The defense has forced turnovers on back-to-back possessions.
- Quinerly hits a long three to cut the LSU lead to 14-12.
- Coming out of the timeout, Bediako, Quinerly, Miles, Davison and Gary are the five on the floor for the Tide.
- At the under-12 media timeout, No. 13 LSU leads 14-9. One wouldn't exactly call the opening eight minutes an offensive showcase. Alabama is really struggling from the floor, only shooting 2-12 in the early going.
- Eason adds a three-pointer to make it 14-9 LSU.
- Eason with back-to-back layups for LSU as they lead 11-9.
- 12:44- Quinerly drives to the basket for a layup and is fouled by Days. He converts the old fashioned three-point play, and Alabama leads 9-7.
- 14:37- Shackelford sinks a three with the assist from JQ with the first field goal of the night for the Crimson Tide. Alabama leas 6-5.
- Quinerly, James Rojas and Juwan Gary now all out on the floor for Alabama.
- At the under-16 media timeout, Alabama has yet to make a field goal on offense. On the defensive end, Alabama has already allowed three offensive boards to the Tigers.
- 16:09- Darius Days sinks a corner three for the Tigers as they retake the lead at 5-3.
- 16:29- Jaden Shackelford is fouled on a three-point attempt and will go the line trying to get Alabama on the board. He makes all three and Alabama leads 3-2.
- Jusaun Holt is the first player off the bench for the Crimson Tide replacing Keon Ellis.
- 18:51- The Tigers get two offensive rebounds on their second position which leads to their first basket. LSU up 2-0.
- LSU wins the opening tip, and we are underway.
- Jahvon Quinerly participated in warmup, but currently has sweats on over his uniform on the bench.
- With the 6 p.m. tip, it is a late-arriving crowd in Coleman Coliseum, but the student section is nearly full at tipoff.
- Tonight's officials: Don Daily, Steven Anderson, Michael Roberts
- Alabama Starting Lineup
- JD Davison (his first career start)
- Jaden Shackelford
- Keon Ellis
- Noah Gurley
- Charles Bediako
- This is the first time this season that Jahvon Quinerly is not in the starting lineup for Alabama. Noah Gurley and Juwan Gary have been switching in and out of the four-spot in the Crimson Tide lineup.
- LSU Starting Lineup
- Brandon Murrary
- Eric Gaines
- Darius Days
- Mwani Wilkinson
- Efton Reid
- James Rojas is once again participating in warmups for Alabama with his knee heavily braced up. He played in the loss against Mississippi State on Saturday, and it was his first appearance of the season coming back from an ACL injury.
- LSU will reportedly be without guard Xavier Pinson tonight against the Crimson Tide. Pinson is the Tigers' third-leading scorer at 10.9 points per game and their assists leader at 4.6 assists per game. He hasn't played for LSU since Jan. 8.
How to Watch:
What: No. 13 LSU at Alabama
When: 6 p.m. CT, Wednesday
Where: Coleman Coliseum
Radio: Crimson Tide Sports Network with Chris Stewart (play-by-play), Bryan Passink (analyst) and Roger Hoover (sideline) on the call. The pregame show will begin one hour prior to tipoff.
Last time out, Alabama: The Crimson Tide suffered its third-straight loss at Mississippi State on Saturday evening in Starkville. With the narrow 78-76 loss, Alabama has now lost five of its last eight games. Jaden Shackelford led the team in points with 17, while Keon Ellis and Darius Miles each had 14. However, poor rebounding on the defensive end of the court in the final eight minutes of play sealed the game, handing the Crimson Tide its sixth loss of the season.
Last time out, LSU: Alabama wasn't the only team to suffer a loss on Saturday, as the Tigers did the same to Arkansas by a score of 65-58. After starting 12-0 in non-conference play, LSU has now lost two SEC games including its conference opener at No. 2 Auburn. While the Tigers struggled to find rhythm beyond the arc against the Razorbacks, it will no doubt look to improve against the Crimson Tide.
The series: Alabama leads the all-time series between the two programs with a 70-46 edge dating back to 1916. The Crimson Tide has won nine of the last 12 meetings, but its most recent meeting against the Tigers was by far its smallest margin of victory.
More on the last meeting: In the 2021 SEC Tournament, Alabama and LSU squared off for the conference title in Nashville, Tenn. The Crimson Tide ultimately walked away with a narrow 80-79 victory, holding off a final push by the Tigers in the final seconds. The win earned Alabama its first SEC Tournament title since 1991 and rocketed the program into the NCAA Tournament as a 2-seed.