TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — After its 49-9 victory against Mississippi State last Saturday, Alabama football looks to continue its momentum this weekend against the Tennessee Volunteers.
Since arriving to Tuscaloosa in 2007, Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban has not lost to the Volunteers. With the streak now at 14-straight victories for Alabama, Saban and his program will look to make it 15 in a row on Saturday afternoon.
Follow along below for live updates, stats and analysis from Bryant-Denny Stadium as Alabama football takes on the Tennessee Volunteers.
(Most recent update at the top)
- Ball game: Alabama 52, Tennessee 24.
- Tennessee’s drive will begin once again on the 25-yard line. They are ultimately forced to punt, and Alabama will run the clock out.
- Touchdown Alabama: Metchie with the 19-years touchdown reception. Extra point by Reichard is good. Alabama 52, Tennessee 24 with 5:01 left to play.
- It’s beginning to look and smell smokey inside Bryant-Denny Stadium.
- Alabama stops Tennessee on fourth down and will take over in Volunteer territory.
- Alabama scoring drive summary: 4 plays, 18 yards, 2:11 T.O.P.
- Touchdown Alabama: On third and goal at the 1-yard line, Robinson carries the ball into the end zone for his third touchdown of the night. Extra point by Reichard is good. Alabama 45, Tennessee 24 with 8:51 left to play in the game.
- On second and 9, Tennessee is called for pass interference. First and goal Alabama at the Tennessee 4-yard line.
- Turnover: Jalyn Armour-Davis intercepts Hooker on third down and returns the ball to the Tennessee 18-yard line. First and 10 Alabama.
- Hooker's pass fall incomplete after pressure from Turner and Anderson. Third and four.
- Anderson takes down Hooker for a one-yard gain.
- Reichard's kick is fielded on the 5-yard line, but no return. First and 10 Tennessee at its own 25.
- With Dixieland Delight playing inside Bryant-Denny Stadium, there was a resounding "And Tennessee, too" from the crowd. Tonight's atmosphere has been arguably the best all season in Tuscaloosa. The vast majority of the crowd is still in attendance.
- Alabama scoring drive summary: 4 plays, 75 yards, 1:41 T.O.P.
- Touchdown Alabama: Robinson rushes through tacklers and powers his way 15 yards to the end zone. Extra point is good. Alabama 38, Tennessee 24 with 12:42 left to play.
- Young finds Williams on a streak route down the field, who catches the ball on third and long for a 65-yard play.
- Nick Saban is about to blow a gasket as he is forced to call a timeout to keep the play clock from expiring. That marks the second time this game that the Alabama offense has come out onto the field after a timeout on the field and has not been prepared to snap.
- Bolden fields the kickoff and returns it to the 25-yard line. First and 10 Crimson Tide.
- Tennessee scoring drive summary: 2 plays, 75 yards, 0:21 T.O.P.
- Touchdown Tennessee: On the second play of the drive, Hooker finds Tillman for a 70-yard score. Extra point is good. Alabama 24, Tennessee 17 with 14:30 to go in the game.
- Reichard's kick is ... you guessed it. Kicked through the end zone for a touchback. First and 10 Volunteers on their own 25-yard line.
- After the touchdown Heupel is still yelling at the referees. Young appeared to have fumbled the football at the goal line, but the official review confirmed the touchdown call. Heupel was not very pleased with the call and continued to give the officials a piece of his mind.
- Alabama scoring drive summary: 11 plays, 80 yards, 4:07 T.O.P.
- Touchdown Alabama: Young scrambles for six yards and his second rushing touchdown of the night. Extra point by Reichard is good. Alabama 31, Tennessee 17 with 14:51 left to play in the game.
- End of the third quarter: Alabama 24, Tennessee 17.
- Yet another Volunteer has gone down in an apparent injury on the field after an eight-yard reception for Holden from Young. It will be third and two when we start the fourth quarter.
- A false start on second down will make it second and 12 for Alabama on the 14-yard line of Tennessee.
- Young's pass complete to Metchie 10 yards and a first down at the 12.
- Roydell Williams carries the ball for nine yards and another Alabama first down.
- Both players are up and appear to be ok, with another chorus of boos from the home crowd.
- Young finds Holden for a 26-yard completion. First and 10 Crimson Tide at the Tennessee 35. After the ensuing play, two Volunteers go down with injuries. This results in a roar of boos from the Alabama fans in the stands.
- Alabama converts another third down for a first and 10 at its own 37-yard line. The Crimson Tide is now 10-of-15 on third down tonight.
- On third and 2, Alabama commits a false start to make it third and 7.
- Bolden makes the fair catch on the Alabama 20-yard line. First and 10 Crimson Tide.
- After a delay of game on offense, Tennessee will elect to punt instead.
- Another failed third down conversion for Tennessee. That makes it 2-of-10 on the down. However, the Volunteers will go for the fourth-down conversion.
- Kickoff by Reichard sails once again through the end zone. First and 10 Tennessee at its own 25.
- Alabama scoring drive summary: 10 plays, 47 yards, 3:22 T.O.P.
- Field Goal Alabama: Reichard is successful on the 45-yard field goal. Alabama 24, Tennessee 17 with 6:22 left to play in the third quarter.
- Alabama fails to convert on third and long, so Reichard will come out onto the field for a 45-yard attempt.
- On another third down, Young scrambles for 16 yards and another first down at the Tennessee 31-yard line. Alabama is now 9-of-13 on third down.
- On third and 12, Young connects with Metchie for a 28-yard reception. First down.
- Bolden fields the kickoff in the end zone for a touchback. First and 10 Crimson Tide at its own 25.
- Tennessee scoring drive summary: 3 plays, 0 yards, 0:43 T.O.P.
- Field Goal Tennessee: On third and 5, Hooker is called for an illegal forward pass as he was beyond the line of scrimmage. On fourth and 9, Tennessee elects for a field goal and makes it. Alabama 21, Tennessee 17 with 9:44 remaining in the third quarter.
- Alabama's punt is blocked and recovered by Tennessee at the Crimson Tide 16-yard line. First and 10 Volunteers in the red zone.
- Tennessee is now 2-of-8 on third down and will have to punt. Earle is back to receive on the play and makes the fair catch at the Alabama 28-yard line.
- Alabama DL Phil Mathis sacks Hooker for a seven-yard loss. Third and 15.
- James Burnip steps in to punt for Alabama on fourth down. The punt is fielded and taken out of bounds at the Tennessee 30-yard line. First and 10 Volunteers.
- Something must have happened on the Alabama offensive line, because it has not been very effective as pass-blocking since the first quarter. Young evades a sack, but the throw to Robinson results in a loss.
- A short kickoff by Tennessee is fielded by LB Dallas Turner. First and 10 Alabama at its own 26-yard line.
- Alabama will get the ball to start the second half.
- Young finished the first half completing 20-of-26 passes for 207 yards and a touchdown. On the ground, Young also rushed six times for 17 yards and a touchdown.
- Alabama running back Robinson leads the stable with 58 rushes off of 13 carries. Robinson is the only running back to have a touchdown in the game.
- Metchie caught all six of his targets and leads the wide receivers with 63 yards. He accounts for the remaining Alabama touchdown.
- On defense for the Crimson Tide, linebacker Henry To'oTo'o leads the team in tackles with four in the first half. Harris and Anderson both registered half a sack, the only one of the game.
- Halftime: Alabama 21, Tennessee 14.
- Tennessee makes the fair catch at its own 20-yard line. First and 10 Volunteers with 0:06 left in the first half.
- On third and 18, Alabama is called for holding. That will make it fourth down after the penalty is declined and an incompletion by Young.
- Tennessee LB Roman Harrison is down on the field with an injury after sacking Young for a 10-yard loss.
- Robinson is tackled out of bounds and tack on 15 yards to that play. First and 10 Crimson Tide at its own 47-yard line. ):40 seconds left to play in the second quarter.
- Tennessee is now 2-of-7 on third down and will give Alabama the football back. Bolden calls for the fair catch at the 16-yard line and the Crimson Tide will take over with 1;40 left to play in the first half.
- Another false start backs up Tennessee. Second and 18 for the Volunteers at their own 17.
- An injury by a Tennessee defender on the touchdown play resulted in a decent number of boos from the Crimson Tide faithful in attendance.
- Alabama scoring drive summary: 12 plays, 79 yards, 5:18 T.O.P.
- Touchdown Alabama: Young finds Metchie in the end zone for the 6-yard score. Extra point by Reichard is good. Alabama 21, Tennessee 14.
- Young has decided to rush the ball very effectively tonight. After seemingly being stopped behind the line of scrimmage, a shifty move gets him the first down.
- On first and 10 at the Volunteers' 33-yard line, the Crimson Tide is called for illegal motion. However, Tennessee elects to decline the penalty. Second and 10 for the Crimson Tide.
- Bolden makes the fair catch, and Alabama will start its drive on the 21-yard line.
- Tennessee is now two-of-six on third down and will punt once again.
- Reichard's kickoff once again sails through the end zone for a touchback.
- That rushing touchdown was the first for Young this season.
- Alabama scoring drive summary: 7 plays, 44 yards, 3:33 T.O.P.
- Touchdown Alabama: Young is flushed out of the pocket but turns it into a 5-yard score. Extra point is good. Alabama 14, Tennessee 14 with 9:27 left in the first half.
- Traeshon Holden is in the game at WR in place of Slade Bolden.
- Hooker's pass incomplete on third down, and Tennessee will punt. Earle back to receive. Earle receives the ball at the Volunteers' 49-yard line. An illegal formation by Tennessee will move the ball to the 44-yard line. First and 10 Crimson Tide.
- Back-to-back false starts for Tennessee backs it up to its own 9-yard line. Third and 11.
- DeMarcco Hellams has entered the game for Daniel Wright.
- Williams fumbles the football after a reception. It is clearly not his night. Tennessee recovers at its own 9-yard line. First and 10 Volunteers.
- Young's pass complete to Robinson for a gain of 17 yards and a first down.
- End of the first quarter: Tennessee 14, Alabama 7.
- Another pass through the hands of Williams. Second and 10. Williams is has two receptions out of five targets.
- Young's pass complete to Latu on first down for a gain of 20 yards and a first down. However, after yet another big play there is an injured Volunteer on the far sideline in DB Alontae Taylor.
- Tennessee scoring drive summary: 5 plays, 64 yards, 2:18 T.O.P.
- Touchdown Tennessee: Hooker finds JaVonta Payton for a 57-yard touchdown. Extra point is good. Tennessee 14, Alabama 7 with 0:26 left to play in the first quarter.
- A short five-yard gain later and Tennessee is forced to punt. JoJo Earle back to receive for Alabama. However, the Volunteers kicker is roughed on the play, resulting in a first and 10 for Tennessee at its own 38-yard line.
- Hooker is sacked for a loss of two yards by Will Anderson Jr. and Christian Harris. Third and 28.
- Back-to-back penalties on Tennessee backs its up to the 20-yard line. Second and 26 for the Volunteers.
- Alabama will have to settle for a field goal after a dropped pass by Williams. However, Reichard misses the 54-yard attempt. Turnover on downs, and Tennessee will take over at its own 36-yard line.
- Young is sacked for a three-yard loss by Tennessee DL Byron Young. Third and 12 for the Crimson Tide at the Volunteers' 36.
- Tennessee DL Matthew Butler goes down on the play after tackling Alabama RB Robinson. Injury timeout on the field.
- Bilingsley is back in the game at TE.
- Young finds TE Cameron Latu for a 27-yard gain. However, Latu is down with an injury on the sideline. He gets back up on his feet and is now standing on the sideline.
- Billingsley has emerged from the medical tent and is catching passes from backup QB Braxton Barker on the sideline.
- Slade Bolden fields the kickoff in the end zone for the touchback. It'll be first and 10 for the Crimson Tide at its own 25-yard line.
- Tennessee scoring drive summary: 8 plays, 75 yards, 1:50 T.O.P.
- Touchdown Tennessee: On third and goal, Hooker finds Velus Jones Jr. in the end zone for an eight-yard touchdown pass. Extra point is good. Alabama 7, Tennessee 7 with 6:15 left in the first quarter.
- Hooker's pass complete to Cedric Tillman for a 39-yard gain and a first down.
- The Volunteers pick up their first first down of the game off of a 16-yard pass from Hooker to Jabari Small. First and 10 Tennessee at the 50.
- Another kickoff by Reichard, another touchback by Tennessee.
- Alabama scoring drive summary: 12 plays, 85 yards, 5:24 T.O.P.
- Touchdown Alabama: An eight-yard run up the middle for RB Brian Robinson Jr. is the first points of the day for the Crimson Tide. Extra point by Reichard is good. Alabama 7, Tennessee 0 with 8:05 left in the first quarter.
- Young scrambles for 12 yards and a first down. That play was without question the best blocking by the Alabama offensive line all season.
- Alabama is now 3-for-3 on third downs on its opening drive. First and 10 Crimson Tide in Volunteers' territory.
- Alabama RB Roydell Williams takes a massive hit at the line of scrimmage, but pops right back up.
- Crimson Tide LB Drew Sanders is on the sidelines, but is wearing sweatpants and is sporting a hard cast on his right hand.
- Alabama TE Jahleel Billingsley is helped off of the field after making a catch for a first down. He's walking under his own power, albeit slowly. Straight to the medical tent.
- QB Bryce Young hits a wide-open WR Jameson Williams on the first offensive play of the game for the Crimson Tide, but Williams drops the pass. Second and 10.
- Tennessee is forced to punt the ball after a three-and-out on its opening drive. Alabama will take over on its own 15-yard line.
- Hendon Hooker will start the game at QB for Tennessee.
- Will Reichard's kick sails to the 1-yard line, and Tennessee will settle for a touchback. First and 10 Volunteers at their own 25-yard line.
- Alabama wins the coin toss and will defer to the second half. The Crimson Tide will be moving from south to north to start the first quarter, and the Volunteers will be moving the opposite direction.
- Take a look at the crowd for the Walk of Champions, homecoming edition:
- The quarterbacks and special teams players have come out onto the field to begin warmups. So far, no missing or abnormal personnel.
- Phidarian Mathis, Evan Neal and Will Anderson Jr. are the captains today for the Crimson Tide.
- In the wide receiver unit, freshman Agiye Hall is not present on the field for Alabama.
- Defensive back DeMarcco Hellams has been listed in tonight's starting lineup as well as Brian Branch.
- Players on both sides have retreated back to their respective locker rooms as we are about 15 minutes or so away from kickoff.
It's rivalry week in Tuscaloosa as Alabama faces Tennessee for the "Third Saturday in October," which just so happens to be on the fourth Saturday of the month this year.
The series hasn't seemed like much of a rivalry lately, but the Volunteers are under the leadership of new head coach Josh Heupel. Tennessee has shown flashes of high-powered offense, mostly against lower-level teams, but took No. 12 Ole Miss down to the wire on Saturday in Knoxville.
It's a smaller slate of SEC games in week eight with several teams having bye weekends. When the Crimson Tide and Volunteers meet up this week, it will be one of only four SEC vs. SEC matchups.
How to Watch
Who: Tennesse at Alabama
When: 6 p.m. CT Saturday
Where: Bryant-Denny Stadium
Opening line per SI Sportsbook: Alabama -27.5
Series: The Crimson Tide leads the all-time series, 57-38-7, including 14 in a row under Nick Saban. Last season, the Crimson Tide beat the Volunteers 48-17 in Knoxville after Jaylen Waddle got hurt on the opening play of the game.
Last time out: Alabama handled business in Starkville with a dominant 49-9 win over Mississippi State. It was Alabama's most complete performance of the season, and Saban was very pleased with the performance.
Meanwhile in Knoxville, things got very heated at the end of Tennessee's 31-26 loss to Ole Miss. Fans started throwing trash on the field causing a major delay. An angry Tennessee team will be coming into Tuscaloosa looking to snap the 14-game losing streak against the Crimson Tide.
All times CT
Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Arkansas, 11 a.m., SECNetwork Fubo.TV
LSU at No. 12 Ole Miss, 2:30 p.m., CBS, Fubo.TV
Mississippi State at Vanderbilt, 3 p.m., SECNetwork Fubo.TV
Tennessee at No. 4 Alabama, 6 p.m., ESPN Fubo.TV