The first New York Giants' gameday inactive report is out, and as anticipated, there are no surprises.
It was reported Saturday that running back Saquon Barkley (knee) and cornerback Adoree Jackson (ankle) were going to be active for the Giants' regular-season opener against the Broncos.
Likewise, it was reported Friday that tight end Evan Engram (calf) would not be active for the game as he continues to deal with his injury.
With that out of the way, here are the Giants' inactive players this week:
New York Giants Roster Moves: Giants C.J. Board, Elevate Offensive Line Help
The Giants put the finishing touches on their Week 3 roster ahead of Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.
Why New York Giants WR Kadarius Toney's NFL Career is Off to a Slow Start
Kadarius Toney hasn't made much of a contribution to the Giants offense through two games, but the hope is that will change soon. Here's why he's been slow getting out of the gate.
New York Giants Defense vs. Atlanta Falcons Offense: Who Has the Competitive Edge?
Olivier Dumont takes a deep dive into the numbers, personnel and matchups between the New York Giants defense and the Atlanta Falcons offense.
- Receiver Collin Johnson: With Kenny Golladay and Kadarius Toney up for this game and C.J. Board called up from the practice squad to presumably handle kickoff returns, there was no room for Johnson, who was a waiver wire pick up from Jacksonville and who is presumably still becoming acclimated to his new team's playbook.
- Linebacker Justin Hilliard: Hilliard was one of three waiver wire claims made by the Giants after rosters were cut down to 53 men, had been dealing with a foot injury, and had been limited in practice this past week, never a promising sign for a newcomer.
- Cornerback Josh Jackson: Speaking of newcomers and promising signs (or lack thereof), Jackson, the cornerback the Giants acquired via trade from the Green Bay Packers, is also inactive. Jackson had been on the Giant's injury report with a calf ailment, which also slowed him down once he arrived in East Rutherford.
- Cornerback Sam Beal: Beal is a healthy scratch. The Giants surprised people when they decided to carry the 2018 third-round pick chosen in the supplemental draft. But with Adoree' Jackson healthy and ready to go, Beal, who despite making the roster still sits at the bottom of the depth chart, becomes a scratch.
- Outside linebacker Quincy Roche: In what's a trend this week, Roche, the third waiver wire pickup by the Giants, will start his season on the inactive list, again presumably while getting up to speed on the playbook.
Denver will be without outside linebacker Bradlee Chubb, who has been nursing an ankle ailment. Chubb was to have been a game-time decision, but after going through a pre-game workout, it was determined by the Broncos staff that Chubb, who has 20.5 career sacks in three seasons, that it would be wiser to hold him out of action.
Here is the entire Broncos inactive list:
More from Giants Country
- 2021 SI Fan Nation NFL Team Publisher Predictions
- Giants Looking Forward to RB Saquon Barkley's Return
- Giants Receiver Sterling Shepard Talks Team Mood Ahead of 2021 Season Opener
- Kadarius Toney Looking to Scratch That Itch to Play
- New York Giants Week 1: The Competitive Edge
- Jason Garrett Reflects on 9/11 Aftermath
- Three Keys to a Giants’ Victory Over the Broncos
- Bold Predictions for New York Giants' 2021 Season
Join the Giants Country Community
- Sign up for our FREE digest newsletter
- Follow and like us on Facebook
- Submit your questions for our mailbag
- Listen and subscribe to the daily LockedOn Giants podcast.
- Subscribe and like the new LockedOn Giants YouTube Channel
- Sign up for our FREE message board forums
- Subscribe and like our YouTube Channel