Live with the Tide: Alabama Basketball Travels to Mississippi State
STARKVILLE, Miss. — The University of Alabama men's basketball team will look to finish off a season sweep of Mississippi State when it takes the court Tuesday night.
Alabama (15-12, 7-7 SEC) dominated the Bulldogs, 90-69, in Tuscaloosa back on Jan. 8.
Things have changed since that night and both teams are needing a win to keep their chances of making the NCAA tournament alive.
The Crimson Tide comes into this contest having defeated Ole Miss last time out, while the Bulldogs (17-10, 8-6 SEC) lost to Texas A&M.
Currently, Mississippi State is a 4.5 point favorite according to BetOnline.Ag. The over/under is set for 157.5. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m, CT, on SEC Network.
Tonight's officials are Don Daily, Vlad Voyard-Tadal, and Patrick Evans.
Alabama starters: Kira Lewis, Jr., Jaden Shackelford, John Petty, Jr., Herbert Jones, and Alex Reese
Mississippi State starters: Nick Weatherspoon, D.J. Stewart, Jr., Robert Woodard II, Reggie Perry, and Abdul Ado
- Mississippi State has won the tip and Ado scores the layup.
- Lewis bangs home a three from the corner.
- Ado and Petty trade layups. Alabama leads by one, 5-4.
- Shackelford megs his defender and finishes at the rim for the layup.
- At the first media timeout, Alabama owns a 3-point lead, 7-4, with 16 minutes to go.
- Nate Oats' plan to defend Perry is through Jones. Herb is doing a solid job through the first four minutes.
- Out of the timeout, Perry is called for an offensive foul.
- Beetle Bolden and Galin Smith are Alabama's first subs.
- Carter just tied the game with a three-pointer from the corner.
- Woodard scores a layup, but the Crimson Tide retake the lead after Petty's three-pointer.
- Jaylen Forbes enters the game for Jones and he will head to the free-throw line. He sinks one of two.
- Perry hits the jumper and Mississippi State now has a one-point lead, 17-16, with 11:51 remaining. Petty leads all scorers with eight.
- Javian Davis checks in.
- Bolden hits from beyond the arc after the timeout.
- Molinar makes two from the line and it is tied at 19.
- The Bulldogs have made seven shots in a row from the field and lead 28-27. On the other hand, Alabama has made four of its last seven.
- Petty is down in some serious pain, holding his right elbow. He exits the floor to the locker room.
- Play resumes and Bolden hits a fadeaway jumper to give Alabama the lead, 29-28.
- Reese drives and scores a tough basket to extend the lead to three.
- Lewis hits from downtown and Alabama leads by six, 34-28. 5:02 to go in this half.
- The Bulldogs answer with a 6-0 run to tie the game after that dunk by Perry.
- Lewis breaks it with another three-pointer. His third of the game.
- Alabama leads by three, 37-34, with 2:24 to go. Petty is doubtful to return to this game.
- Out of the timeout, Reese turns it over, which leads to a basket by Perry.
- Weatherspoon scores a three from the wing, which forces Oats to call a timeout with 18 seconds remaining. Bulldogs lead by two, 41-39.
- Shackelford shots goes long and Alabama will go into the locker room trailing 41-39.
- Lewis has 13 points along with five rebounds and one block. Bolden has 10 points and three boards.
- Petty is still in the locker room as the Crimson Tide takes the floor to begin this half.
- Bolden will replace him. The rest of the lineup stays the same as the one that started the game.
- Petty has returned to the bench and is wearing a sleeve on his right arm.
- Lewis scores a layup to tie the game, but the Bulldogs proceed to go on a 6-0 run to take a 47-41 lead.
- A jumper from Weatherspoon gives the Bulldogs its biggest lead of the game at eight. Oats will call a timeout. Alabama trails 53-45. 16:21 remaining.
- Petty has been officially ruled out.
- Davis is Alabama's first sub of this half.
- Davis is fouled by Perry and he heads to the charity stripe. He makes one of two.
- At the first media timeout, Alabama trails 53-46 with 15:54 to go.
- Shackelford has scored five quick points for the Crimson Tide. Only down by two now, 53-51.
- The Bulldog fans are not happy here in the Hump after a couple calls have gone the Crimson Tide's way.
- Jones just picked up his third foul as Woodard scores the tough layup. He misses the foul shot. Alabama is on a scoring drought of over two minutes.
- Lewis finds the bottom of the net on that floater. Back to a two-point game. Alabama trails 55-53. 11:43 remaining.
- Out of the timeout, Carter hits a mid-range jumper over Shackelford and the Crimson Tide turn it over on its offensive end.
- Lewis scores a three-pointer after the Crimson Tide had missed its first six attempts in the second half.
- Jones gets a steal and Lewis takes it all the way for the lay up. He was fouled during his shot attempt. He completes the and-one. We are tied at 59 with 9:35 left.
- Forbes airballs a three-pointer and the Bulldogs take control of the rebound. Perry hits a trey from the wing.
- Carter is at the line shooting two. Jones just picked up his fourth foul.
- Carter makes both shots and Alabama trails by five, 64-59.
- Alabama is now in the bonus. Lewis will shoot one-and-one. He scores two from the charity stripe.
- There is a miscue on the Alabama defense and Perry slams home the alley-oop.
- Reese is called for a charge and we have reached the under eight-minute media timeout. Alabama trails 66-61 with 7:27 to go.
- Jones fouls Perry and he has fouled out.
- Perry makes one of two at the line to extend the Bulldogs lead to seven.
- Perry just picked up his fourth foul with 5:54 remaining.
- Davis at the line and he scores one of two. Alabama trails 67-62.
- Perry scores two more from the line to push the Bulldogs lead to 69-62.
- Carter makes two free throws, but Reese gets the Crimson Tide back in it with a three-pointer from the corner.
- A layup by Shackelford cuts the Bulldogs lead to four, but a jumper by Perry pushes it back to six. At the final media timeout of the game, Alabama trails 73-67 with 3:11 to go.
- Out of the break in the action, Lewis drives and scores. He has 29 points on the evening.
- Smith is at the line shooting two. He misses both and the Crimson Tide trail 75-69 with 1:38 left.
- Bolden scores one after being fouled by Carter.
- Carter hits the running layup and the Bulldogs lead by seven with 38 seconds to play.
- Shackelford makes the three after the Crimson Tide get the offensive rebound. Alabama is down four with 17 seconds left.
- Mississippi State defeats Alabama 80-73. Lewis led all scorers with 29 points. He also grabbed seven rebounds and dished out four assists.