Live with the Tide: Alabama Basketball at No. 11 Auburn
AUBURN, Ala. - The University of Alabama men's basketball team (13-10, 5-5 SEC) has made the trip to the Plains where it will face off against the Auburn Tigers (21-2, 8-2 SEC).
Tipoff is set for 6 p.m, CT, on ESPN2.
The Crimson Tide is coming off of 105-102 overtime defeat of Georgia on Saturday, while the Tigers have won six in a row, most recently against LSU, 91-90.
This is the second meeting between these two schools this season with Alabama winning the first matchup, 83-64, in Tuscaloosa on Jan. 15.
According to BetOnline.Ag, Auburn is a 7.5-point favorite and the over/under is set for 160. Follow along on BamaCentral for updates throughout the contest and afterwards.
Alabama junior forward Herb Jones traveled and dressed out and could see playing time in a "specific situation" per reports. He has missed the Crimson Tide last three games while recovering from wrist surgery.
Alabama starters: Kira Lewis, Jr., Jaden Shackelford, John Petty, Jr., Alex Reese, and Javian Davis.
Auburn starters: J'Von McCormick, Samir Doughty, Isaac Okoro, Anfernee McLemore, and Austin Wiley
- Auburn has won the tip. McLemore buries a 3-pointer to start.
- A Crimson Tide turnover leads to a McLemore dunk. Tigers up 5-0.
- Another 3-pointer from McLemore. 8-0 Tigers. Auburn Arena is insanely loud and this crowd is ferocious. Alabama is 0-of-3 from the field to start.
- Wiley is at the free-throw line shooting two. He makes one, but Okoro gets the offensive board and is fouled by Petty on the shot.
- Okoro only makes one of two. 10-0 Auburn.
- Jaylen Forbes has checked in for Petty. Beetle Bolden has also come onto the floor.
- Forbes turns the ball over on the pass for Lewis and Doughty scores on the other end. 12-0 Tigers.
- Bolden is called for a block and Okoro will head to the line. He sinks both to make it 14-0. Alabama in trouble early.
- Bolden misses an open 3-pointer. Okoro grabs McLemore's miss and scores the easy put back. 16-0 Auburn with 15:38 to go.
- Lewis is at the charity stripe and he makes two for the Crimson Tide.
- Herb Jones has checked in. The junior's first action since breaking his wrist against LSU. Galin Smith has also entered the ball game.
- Lewis gets an offensive rebound and scores the layup. He then gets a steal, but his layup attempted is blocked by McLemore.
- Bolden hits a three from the corner and Alabama has cut it to single digits, 16-7.
- McCormick and Shackelford trade 3-pointers.
- Bolden takes it coast to coast for the contested layup. 19-12 Auburn.
- Wiley scores another second chance basket to push the lead back to nine.
- Shackelford will be at the free-throw line when action resumes after the under 12-minute media timeout. 21-12 Tigers with 11:23 remaining.
- Jones and Davis are back on the floor for Alabama.
- Shackelford makes both shots.
- Wiley can complete the and-one and its back to a ninepins advantage for the Tigers.
- Purifoy nails a wide-open 3-pointer, but Shackelford answers with his own. 26-17 Tigers with 10:10 left on the clock.
- Petty hits a pull-up three from the top of the key to pull within six.
- A defensive miscue leads to Cambridge hitting another wide-open three and Wiley converts a two-handed slam on the Tigers' next possession.
- With 7:53 left in the half, Auburn leads Alabama 31-20. The Crimson Tide only has four turnovers, but is shooting 4-of-12 from beyond the arc.
- Jones and Forbes have reentered the game.
- Bolden hits his second 3-pointer and the Crimson Tide is within eight, 31-23.
- Jones is called for a block and that is his second foul. Cambridge makes two from the line. Back to a 10-point deficit.
- Smith makes a layup as he is foul, but can not convert the free throw.
- Flanigan hits a jumper, then Bolden makes another three-point basket. He is 4-of-6 from the field with 11 points.
- Flanigan is at the line and he makes one of two.
- Bolden has missed two three-point attempts on back-to-back possessions for the Crimson Tide.
- Wiley heads to the charity stripe after the foul by Bolden. He drains both and the score is 38-28 in favor of the Tigers.
- Petty responds with a three-pointer. A steal by Lewis, and he throws it up to Petty who slams it home to cut the Tigers' lead to five.
- McCormick makes a driving layup to extend it to seven.
- At the final media timeout of the half, Alabama trails 40-33. Petty and Shackelford both have eight points. The Crimson Tide is getting out rebounded, 25-16.
- Reese scores his first points of the game on a three-pointer and Alabama only trails by four. Okoro scores a quick bucket for the Tigers to answer.
- Forbes is left open and he makes a 3-pointer. Three-point game now... 42-39 Tigers.
- Reese scores a tough lay up to cut it to one.
- Doughty's heave at the buzzer hits the rim and misses.
- Alabama trails Auburn at halftime, 44-41. A resilient effort from the Crimson Tide after being down 16 early. Bolden has a team-high 11 points. Lewis has seven assists.
- The second half is underway and both teams will start with the same guys on the floor. Alabama will inbounds.
- Reese misses a 3-pointer on the first possession.
- McCormick misses on the other end and Shackelford hits one from the corner. This game is tied at 44.
- Wiley breaks the tie with a put back layup.
- Reese misses again and Okoro takes it all the way from a slam dunk. Auburn Arena is fired up after that one.
- Okoro is at the free-throw line after the foul by Davis.
- Bolden will come in, replacing Davis.
- Okoro hits both. Auburn leads by six, 50-44.
- Lewis kicks it out to Shackelford, who makes another 3-pointer.
- Doughty completes the and-one to push the lead back to six.
- Back and forth we go.. Petty hits a 3-pointer now.
- Okoro scores the put back dunk and Auburn is controlling the offensive glass.
- Reese's 3-pointer makes it a two-point game, but Okoro answers with a driving layup.
- At the first media timeout of this half, Auburn leads Alabama 57-53. Shackelford has 14 points and five rebounds.
- Jones and Forbes are on the floor for Alabama.
- Smith misses two flagrant foul shots and Alabama maintains possession.
- Petty hits a high arching three and the Crimson Tide only trail by one.
- McLemore hits a three, but Shackelford answers with a layup on the other end. 60-58 Tigers with 12:56 on the clock.
- Jones is called for a foul on Doughty and Auburn is in the bonus. Flanigan will shoot one and one. He sinks both. Four-point Auburn lead.
- Forbes turns it over, which leads to Okoro getting a basket on the Tigers' end.
- At the under 12 timeout, Alabama trails 64-58 with 11:51 to go. Bolden and Petty have four fouls, while Jones has three.
- Out of the timeout, Bolden misses a 3-pointer, leading to Cambridge scoring a layup for the Tigers.
- Davis is called for a foul on the rebound and the Tigers are in the bonus.
- McLemore makes both from the charity stripe and Alabama trails by ten, 68-58.
- Lewis makes one of two at the line after being fouled by Doughty. Jones has re entered the game for Reese.
- Davis is called for the foul on Okoro and that is four on him. Forbes will check in.
- Okoro misses both.
- Doughty scores a floater and the Tigers lead by 11, 70-59.
- Forbes buries his second trey of the game to cut the deficit to eight.
- Bolden gets his shot blocked, but the ball falls in Shackelford's hands and he makes a three from the corner.
- Lewis gets Okoro to commit a charge. The Tide is turning...
- Shackelford can not convert the tough runner and Oats is furious. Could have been a foul there. Alabama trails 70-64 with 7:38 to play.
- Wiley is at the free-throw line and he makes one of two.
- Lewis gets a steal and drives to the basket for the easy two.
- Cambridge and Shackelford trade 3-point baskets.
- Shackelford hits again from beyond the arc. Unbelievable. He has 16 in this half and it is a four-point deficit for the Crimson Tide.
- Doughty converts the and-one to extend the lead to seven, 79-72.
- Reese is at the line for a one and one. He makes the first and misses the second.
- Jones forces a steal and passes it to Shackelford who is fouled and will go to the line.
- He makes one of two and Alabama trails by five.
- Jones makes an outstanding play on Doughty forcing a steal.
- Forbes is at the charity stripe. He can only hit one shot. Four-point game.
- McCormick misses and Jones gets the board throwing it to Lewis, who buries a 3-pointer. Wiley is fouled by Smith on the ensuing possession.
- At the final media timeout, Alabama trails Auburn by one, 79-78, with 3:41 to go. Lewis has 10 points and 12 assists. The first double-double of his career.
- Wiley makes of two from the line.
- Alabama can not convert on the other end from distance.
- Jones gets a key offensive rebound, but Lewis' falls in and out.
- Auburn misses again and Alabama controls the board.
- Petty's 3-point attempt falls short and Okoro gets the long rebound and he mishandles it, causing him to dive for the loose ball with Petty. Okoro exits the game holding his hamstring.
- Lewis fouls Wiley and he is at the line. He sinks one of two, but the Tigers get the offensive rebound. Story of the night.
- Reese misses a 3-pointer from the top of the key and there is one minute remaining. Alabama has missed nine of its last 10 shots from the field.
- Auburn has possession with 25.6 seconds left. Lewis has 10 rebounds to secure a triple-double. The first Crimson Tide player to notch one since 1996.
- Jones fouls Mclemore and he will shoot two. He misses both.
- Petty drains a 3-pointer and the game is tied at 81 with 14.9 seconds left.
- McCormick misses a 3-point attempt and we head to overtime. Jones' on ball defense was so crucial.
- Doughty will a nice move to the basket for the layup. Auburn up two.
- Shackelford misses a 3-pointer and Wiley converts a layup on the other end.
- Doughty scores another tough layup to make it a six-point lead.
- Lewis and Reese have missed back-to-back 3-pointers.
- Doughty is called for a charge and Alabama will have the ball with 2:49 to go.
- Alabama is ice cold in the extra period. Bolden misses another 3-pointer.
- McCormick is at the line shooting two after the foul by Bolden. He hits both shots to push it to an eight-point lead.
- Forbes is fouled as he shoots a 3-pointer and makes it from the corner. That is McLemore's fifth. He completes the four-point play. Alabama trails 89-85.
- Davis fouls Doughty on his drive to the basket and he has fouled out.
- Doughty hits both shots. 1:38 left.
- Reese misses a three on the Crimson Tide's next possession.
- Doughty misses a tough jumper, then Petty buries his own 3-point shot to cut it to three.
- Wiley makes a dunk on the assist from McCormick, but Shackelford answers with another long trey.
- Alabama trails by two, 93-91, with 24 seconds left.
- Jones has fouled out after that intentional foul on McCormick. The Crimson Tide need a miss from the free-throw line.
- McCormick nails both.
- Lewis gets the ball stolen from him by McCormick and Petty blocks his layup, but Auburn corals the board and Cambridge will go to the line. He misses both.
- Auburn defeats Alabama 95-91.