Crimson Tide Roll Call: October 22, 2019
Today is … National Make A Dog’s Day
Today’s Crimson Tide schedule
No games scheduled
Crimson Tide results
• No games scheduled
Did you notice?
• Former Alabama basketball player Antonio McDyess was named one of six inductees in the Class of 2020 for Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame. The others were Ole Miss linebacker Patrick Willis, baseball coach Jerry Boatner, golfer Pete Brown, architect Janet Marie Smith and athletic director Larry Templeton. The ceremony will be Aug. 1, 2020.
• Speaking of honors:
• Cam Sims was re-signed to the Washington Redskins’ practice squad.
• Former Alabama women’s tennis All-American Alexa Guarachi achieved her highest world Women Tennis Association’s doubles ranking in her professional career after coming in at No. 59. Since Aug. 26, Guarachi has jumped 27 spots.
• The Crimson Tide swimming team landed a commitment from Holden Smith, a three-time U.S. Open qualifier, for the recruiting Class of 2021. From Louisville, Ky., the butterflier told Swimming World: “I am thrilled to announce my verbal commitment to continue my academic and swimming career at the University of Alabama! I want to give special thanks to God, my family, friends, coaches and teachers for their investment in me and my success. I also want to give thanks to AD Greg Byrne for his investment in the swimming program and Coach Coley Stickels and the other coaching staff for giving me the opportunity to be part of something really special that’s about to happen in swimming at the University of Alabama. Roll Tide Roll!”
• Alabama swimmer Liam Bell has earned a spot on the United States Junior National Team. The Atlanta, Ga., native won the 2019 USA Junior National Championship in the 100-meter breaststroke this summer, posting a 1:01.19, the ninth-fastest time ever for 17-18 men in the United States, and winning the race by over a second. He also earned a bronze medal in the 200-meter breaststroke with a career-best mark of 2:15.17. “Liam had a breakout summer,” Crimson Tide coach Coley Stickels said in a release. “There is something really special about making your first national team and we’re really proud of him for that. He’s really exploded into his first collegiate season and is the only freshman ranked in the NCAA top 10 in the 100 breaststroke this season.”
• We’ll leave you with this …
On this date in Crimson Tide history:
October 22, 1988: In describing the action to a CBS audience, commentator Brent Musburger called Derrick Thomas' performance the best defensive effort he had ever seen. In Alabama's 8-3 win over Penn State, Thomas registered three quarterback sacks, including one for a safety, batted down one pass, and was credited with eight quarterback hurries. – Bryant Museum
Crimson Tide quote of the day:
“Never give up. Reach down inside and you’ll find something left.” – Paul W. “Bear” Bryant