Georgia starting quarterback and national champion, Stetson Bennett has announced via his Instagram Story that he will be returning to the University of Georgia for the 2022 season in Athens.
Bennett was the offensive MVP during the national championship win over the Alabama Crimson Tide to bring Georgia its first title since 1980.
Bennett had the option of walking off into the sunset or returning to the University of Georgia for a sixth year thanks to the NCAA providing an additional year of eligibility due to the coronavirus.
During the national title, Bennett completed 17 of 26 passes for 224 yards and a pair of TDs...directed two fourth-quarter TD drives with his final two passes of the game going for touchdowns of 40 and 15 yards
NFL Draft Declarations Update:
- January 17th, 2022 - Georgia LB Nolan Smith will return to Athens
- January 16th, 2022 - Georgia DB Tykee Smith will return to Athens
- January 16th, 2022 - Georgia P Jake Camarda declares for the 2022 NFL Draft
- January 15th, 2022 - Georgia DB Derion Kendrick declares for the 2022 NFL Draft
- January 15th, 2022- Georgia DL Devonte Wyatt declares for the 2022 NFL Draft
- January 14th, 2022 - Georgia S Lewis Cine declares for the 2022 NFL Draft.
- January 14th, 2022 - Georgia LB Nakobe Dean declares for the 2022 NFL Draft.
- January 14th, 2022 - Georgia DL Travon Walker declares for the 2022 NFL Draft.
- January 14th, 2022 - Georgia WR George Pickens declares for the 2022 NFL Draft
- January 14th, 2022 - Georgia RB Zamir White declares for the 2022 NFL Draft.
- January 12th, 2022 - Georgia RB James Cook declares for the 2022 NFL Draft.
TRANSFER PORTAL UPDATE
- January 15th, 2022- Jalen Kimber will transfer to Florida
- January 15th, 2022- Justin Robinson will transfer to Mississippi State
- January 14th, 2022 - Lovasea Carroll has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal
- January 13th, 2022 - Latavious Brini Announced he will be entering the NCAA Transfer Portal
- January 12th, 2022 - Sources confirm Georgia DB Jalen Kimber is in the NCAA transfer portal
- January 12th, 2022 - Georgia WR Justin Robinson has requested to enter the portal according to sources.
- January 11th, 2022 - Georgia WR Jaylen Johnson has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal according to sources
- January 11th, 2022 - Sources confirm DB, Ameer Speed has entered the NCAA Transfer portal
The conclusion of this season now sparks the conversation of players who are draft-eligible and could be leaving the program to chase their dreams of becoming an NFL player. It also creates the question of players who could possibly be returning for another season as a Georgia Bulldog, and with the additional year of eligibility granted by NCAA due to COVID-19, things are gonna get messy.
The following players listed below are ones who have obtained the required three years in college football and are eligible to enter the 2022 NFL draft:
- Warren McClendon, OL, RS Sophomore
- George Pickens, WR, Junior *Declared for NFL Draft
- Nolan Smith, LB, Junior
- JT Daniels, QB, Junior
- Kenny McIntosh, RB, Junior
- Lewis Cine, S, Junior *Declared for NFL Draft
- Nakobe Dean, LB, Junior *Declared for NFL Draft
- Tykee Smith, DB, Junior *Returning to Athens
- Travon Walker, DL, Junior *Declared for NFL Draft
- Warren Ericcson, OL, Junior
- John Fitzpatrick, TE, Senior
- James Cook, RB, Senior *Declared for NFL Draft
- Zamir White, RB, Senior *Declared for NFL Draft
- Quay Walker, LB, Senior
- Kearis Jackson, WR, Senior
- Ameer Speed, DB, Senior *Entered Transfer Portal
- Jaylen Johnson, WR, Senior *Entered Transfer Portal
- Derion Kendrick, DB, Senior *Declared for the NFL Draft
- Stetson Bennett, QB, Senior
- Christopher Smith, DB, Senior *Returning to Georgia for 2022
- William Poole, DB, Senior
- Robert Beal Jr, LB, Senior
- Latavious Brini, DB, Senior *Entered Transfer Portal
- Channing Tindall, LB, Senior
- Justin Shaffer, OL, Senior
- Jamaree Salyer, OL, Senior *Declared for the NFL Draft
- Jake Carmada, P, Senior *Declared for the NFL Draft
- Julian Rochester, DL, Senior
- Devonte Wyatt, DL, Senior *Declared for NFL Draft
- Jordan Davis, DL, Senior
As stated above, during last year's season all college athletes were granted an extra year of eligibility due to the chaos that the global pandemic created. Therefore, that means a player who has completed all four years as a college football athlete would still have another year of eligibility left at the college player.
This provides the opportunity for a player like Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett, who is currently a senior of the team, the ability to still return for the 2022-23 college football season.
Prior to last season, Georgia had a good number of players announce they would be returning for another season with the program instead of declaring for the draft. With a long list of draft-eligible players, it will be very interesting to see over the next month who decides to declare for the draft, third-year players who return, and those who take advantage of the extra year of eligibility that they have been granted.
Buckle up, because things are about to get very interesting in regards to how Georgia's roster shapes up for the upcoming season.
As for the Transfer Portal, Kirby Smart mentioned in his championship press conference and said that they are expecting quite a bit of portal movement as well, conversations that they've already had with players about leaving.
You Might Also Like:
- Scouting Notebook: What We Learned About UGAs Future at All-American Bowl
- Georgia Offense Key to Success is Spreading The Wealth
- Todd Hartley Recognized as Tight End Coach of the Year
Join the community
Follow Brooks Austin on Twitter: @BrooksAustinSI
Subscribe to our YouTube Page HERE
You can follow us for future coverage by clicking "Follow" on the top right-hand corner of the page. Also, be sure to like us on Facebook @BulldogMaven & follow us on Twitter at @BulldogsSI.