The War Room: Go Inside #5 Michigan State Football
I get a lot of nuggets and information that alone are not big enough for a story. When I have a few that I can assemble together I will, and when I only have one or two I will post them as premium content on our Phalanx Forum board. So welcome to The War Room.
- April 7, 2018, 5 PM is the date and time of the spring game. It is a brilliant move by Dantonio to keep inventing ways to make this event relevant.
- Don Treadwell’s salary this year is $267,693 and Paul Haynes is $378,463 and Chuck Bullough’s is $350,770 All contracts are also loaded with bonus incentives.
- 67 percent of the roster was made up of freshmen and sophomores last year. The Spartans are not only loaded this year but next as well.
- Only three senior starters are gone. Only four players from the entire (44 players) two deep.
- Brian Lewerke said of the start of spring ball that, “it’s a new season with a new focus." Lewerke is a different player this offseason. That is natural considering last year it was his job, but he hadn’t cemented it prior. He is more relaxed and has settled in. I am telling you right now, there is no doubt he will be a captain this fall.
- In fact, I can tell you now that Lewerke, Khari Willis, and Joe Bachie will be your captains in 2018. Write it down, February 28, 2018, I told you that.
- With some attrition and injuries at LB Brandon Randle is going to get reps at OLB this spring. Do not read into it. In fact, I was told some media were speculating that he could/would be a starter come spring. He will not beat out Andrew Dowell.
- With Dowell and Antjuan Simmons out for a little bit, that is not a real concern. Both have an epic work ethic and will be solid starters once the season starts.
- Dillon Alexander & Jakub Panasiuk are two guys that are going to benefit the most from Chuck Bullough. I had one Spartan staffer tell me, “Those DE’s follow Coach Bullough like the Pied Piper. His energy and fire are contagious.
- Raequan Williams and Mike Panasiuk in my book at both 1st team all-Big Ten guys when 2018 ends. They both have worked on their “Twitch” and athleticism off the ball to get more of an upfield rush presence this fall.
- Antjuan Simmons, I told you months ago will replace Chris Frey as the starter.
- I expect him to move to star when Andrew Dowell graduates.
- Darien Tipps-Clemmons is gone as you know. Super kid. Simply not good enough to play at Michigan State and he loves the game. No fault of his own and I hope all Spartan Nation wishes him well.
- Tyriq Thompson is not yet ready to make a jump. This spring and fall camps are going to be big for him. He is a year four guy. He will almost certainly back up Simmons and there are some really good young men behind him. Thompson is a super young man and now is his time to make a move.
- Spartan Nation has been reporting for months that we did not expect RB Weston Bridges would take part in spring practice. Something other media did not agree with our reporting on. So Dantonio took a moment to confirm our Spartan Nation report for the first time publicly, “He may not participate this spring but he looks good, looks like he’ll be ready to go this fall.”
- Brandon Randle is a third down DE. Dantonio on Randle, “I think he’s got a great amount of ability, but he’s got to be consistent.” Again Dantonio said he would play OLB this spring and most will run with that because they do not understand it from the inside. It is a numbers game.
- For those questioning the mindset of this team Dantonio pretty much summed it up. “We had our best semester academically, I think, in the history of Michigan State last fall and to do that is a positive.”
- I wouldn’t be concerned about who is NOT on the roster right now. I understand that is the low hanging fruit for some to talk about, but it really isn’t a big deal.
Want the latest breaking MSU news delivered straight to your email for FREE? Sign up for the DAILY Spartan Nation newsletterWHEN YOU CLICK RIGHT HERE! Don't miss any of the latest up the second updates on Michigan State Sports when you follow on Twitter @HondoCarpenter