WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Purdue pitcher Calvin Starnes is getting an opportunity to play professionally. The New York Yankees signed Starnes to a free agent deal after he went undrafted in the 2021 MLB Draft last week.
As a junior, Starnes appeared in 10 games for the Boilermakers last season, including one start on the mound. He recorded 9 1/3 innings pitched and registered six strikeouts while giving up seven runs on four hits. He had a 5.79 ERA and lost his only start.
The right-handed pitcher arrived at Purdue after spending two seasons at Northwest Florida College. As a freshman, he registered a 3.21 ERA and 33 strikeouts while giving up 28 hits in 33 2/3 innings as a freshman.
Starnes made three of his four appearances as a starter in 2020 before the season was shut down due the coronavirus pandemic, striking out 12 batters over 10 1/3 innings.
Recent Stories From Boilermakers Country
- BIG TEN DAILY, JULY 20: Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy will donate a portion of NIL profits to charity, Nebraska's Spencer Schwellenbach signs a deal with the Atlanta Braves and Penn State is in the top three for a four-star 2022 running back. CLICK HERE
- PURDUE RECRUITING TARGET SETS COMMITMENT DATE: Four-Star defensive end Joe Strickland out of Brebeuf High School in Indianapolis has narrowed his college choices to Purdue, Indiana and Stanford. He'll officially announce his destination on Thursday, July 22. CLICK HERE
- RYAN KERRIGAN NAMED TO ALL-TIME ALL-BIG TEN DEFENSE: Former Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan was recognized by FOX analyst RJ Young as one of the All-Time All-Big Ten defenders. Kerrigan recorded 70 tackles, 12.5 sacks and five forced fumbles during his senior season with the Boilermakers. CLICK HERE
- GEORGE KARLAFTIS NAMED TO BEDNARIK AWARD WATCH LIST: Purdue defensive end George Karlaftis was among 11 Big Ten players named to the 2021 Chuck Bednarik Award watch list. He led the Boilermakers with two sacks and had four total tackles despite limited action on the field last season. CLICK HERE
- DAVID BELL NAMED TO MAXWELL AWARD WATCH LIST: Purdue wide receiver David Bell was among 11 Big Ten players named to the 2021 Maxwell Award watch list. He recorded 53 receptions, 625 yards and eight touchdowns last season for the Boilermakers. CLICK HERE