Houston's seasoner opener vs North Texas has been canceled the Cougars announced on Wednesday. The matchup that was set to take place on Saturday has been canceled after four positive COVID-19 tests were registered from North Texas over the last week.
Houston vice president for athletics Chris Pezman shared in a statement that quote “We understand this COVID-related decision North Texas has made to not play Saturday's game and appreciate the consistent dialogue with our program by UNT Athletics Director Wren Baker, his administration and medical staff during this week."
Pezman went on to say that quote “I am disappointed for our student-athletes who have continued to focus on competing this season and were ready to play this Saturday. We will continue to work to adjust our schedule with the hopes of playing as soon as we can."
Wednesday's cancelation marks the fifth postponed or canceled opener for Houston’s season in 2020. The Cougars plan to host Tulane on October 8th.
FOR MORE CONTENT FROM SI:
- Trashaun Willis, Iowa High School QB With One Arm, Scores Six TDs in One Game
- MLS Sets Schedule for Remainder of 2020 Regular Season, Decision Day
- Why NXT Champion Finn Bálor Fell in Love With Seinfeld During the Pandemic
- Breaking Down the Differing COVID-19 Protocols Among the Power 5
- World Series Power Rankings 2.0: Who's Going to Win It All?
- Anthony Davis Is the Lakers’ Present, and Their Future
- Peyton Manning Takes Savage Shot at Patriots During 'MNF' Megacast: TRAINA THOUGHTS