INDIANAPOLIS — Everything has led to tonight.
At Lucas Oil Stadium on Monday night, top-ranked Alabama football will square off against the No. 3 Georgia Bulldogs in the 2022 College Football Playoff National Championship Game.
Despite losing to the Crimson Tide back on Dec. 4 in the SEC Championship Game, the Bulldogs remain the favorite in tonight's contest. As of three hours before kickoff, Georgia is favored by three points.
Throughout the over 150 years of college football history, a postseason rematch in a game with national title implications has only happened five times. Monday night's game marks the sixth time. In those five rematches, the loser of the initial game came back to win the second matchup all five times.
The game is slated for an 7:15 p.m. CT kickoff and will be broadcast on ESPN.
For live stats and drive summaries, check out our live Fanalytix graphic on our message board.
Stay here at BamaCentral throughout tonight's game for live updates, stats and analysis as the Crimson Tide battle the Bulldogs for the 2022 CFP title.
Live Updates: No. 1 Alabama vs No. 3 Georgia at the 2022 CFP Title Game
Final: Georgia 33, Alabama 18
- Young is sacked. End of the game.
- Young's pass complete to Latu for a 17-yard gain, and it will be 4th and 11.
- Young is sacked for a loss of 6 yards on the play. Alabama uses its last timeout with 0:28 left. 3rd and 28 at the UA 36.
- With 0:34 seconds left, Young's pass falls incomplete. Young is called for intentional grounding, Alabama elected to use a timeout to avoid the 10-second runoff. It will be 2nd and 22 at the UA 42.
- 11 more receiving yards for Brooks. 1st and 10 at the UGA 46.
- Young connects with Brooks for a 20-yard gain. 1st and 10 at the UA 43.
- That 79-yard pick six by Ringo was the largest in national championship history.
- Young's pass to Robinson is complete, but he is tackled for a 2-yard loss. Timeout Alabama with 0:48 seconds left.
- Alabama will start 1st and 10 at the 25-yard line. Crimson Tide fans have started exiting the building.
- Pick Six: Young's pass is intercepted by Kelee Ringo and returned 79 yards for the Georgia touchdown. The extra point is good. Georgia 33, Alabama 18 with 0:54 seconds left in the game.
- There is 1:14 left to play.
- Pass complete to Latu for a 12-yard gain. 1st and 10 from the UGA 44.
- Young finds Robinson on 3rd and 4 for a gain of 12. 1st and 10 at the UA 43. There is 2:00 left to play.
- Young's pass to Ja'Corey Brooks is caught for a gain of 1.
- Young connects with Holden for a gain of 5 yards. 2nd and 5 at the UA 30.
- Georgia's kickoff sails through the end zone for a touchback. 1st and 10 Alabama at its own 25-yard line.
- Georgia Drive Summary: 7 plays, 62 yards, T.O.P. 3:37.
- Touchdown Georgia: On 3rd and 1, Bennett connects with Bowers for a 15-yard touchdown. The extra point is good. Georgia 26, Alabama 18 with 3:33 remaining in the contest.
- Timeout Georgia. That was its first timeout of the half. There is 4:05 remaining in the game. 2nd and 3 at the UA 17.
- Another play, another 7-yard carry for White.
- Alabama is called for pass interference. After the 15-yard penalty, it is 1st and 10 for Georgia at the UA 24.
- White rushes for another 7 yard gain. 1st and 10 at the UA 39. Alabama DT Phidarian Mathis was injured on the play and heads to the medical tent.
- White rushes for 7 yards and a 1st down. 1st and 10 at the UGA 49.
- Jackson calls a fair catch at the UGA 38. 1st and 10 Bulldogs.
- Young's pass is once again incomplete. Alabama is forced to punt.
- Young's pass falls incomplete. 3rd and 12 at the UA 23.
- Robinson is cut down in the backfield for a loss of 2 yards. 2nd and 12.
- Georgia's kickoff sails through the end zone for a touchback. 1st and 10 Alabama at the UA 25.
- Georgia Drive Summary: 4 plays, 75 yards, T.O.P. 2:05.
- Touchdown Georgia: Bennett finds Mitchell in the end zone for a 40-yard touchdown. The Bulldogs attempt to go for 2, and fail. Georgia 19, Alabama 18 with 8:09 to go.
- Turner sacks Bennett for the second time tonight. A loss of 8 yards makes it 2nd and 18 at the UA 40.
- Khyree Jackson is called for pass interference. He wrapped up the receiver to avoid a touchdown. 1st and 10 Bulldogs at the UA 42.
- Bennett connects with Burton for an 18-yard gain. 1st and 10 at the UGA 43.
- Alabama's kickoff is fielded for a touchback in the end zone. 1st and 10 Georgia at its own 25.
- Alabama Drive Summary: 4 plays, 16 yards, T.O.P. 1:21.
- Touchdown Alabama: On 3rd and goal at the 3, Young connected with Latu in the end zone. The Crimson Tide attempted to go for 2 points, and failed. Alabama 18, Georgia 13 with 10:14 to go in the game.
- Robinson rushes forward for 3 yards. 2nd and goal at the 3.
- On an incomplete pass by Young, Georgia is called for roughing the passer. 1st and goal Alabama at the UGA 6.
- Turnover: The ruling on the field stands. Alabama football at the UGA 16-yard line. The call has caused some fans to begin throwing trash onto the field.
- On 3rd and 8, Bennett appeared to throw the football to the edge of the field, where it was picked Brian Branch. The officials called the play a fumble, recovered by Branch. The play is under further review. However, even if the call is reversed, Bennett will be called with intentional grounding, which would make it 4th down and a decent big of yardage.
- Alabama's kickoff goes into the end zone for a touchback. 1st and 10 Georgia at its own 25-yard line.
- Alabama Drive Summary: 10 plays, 72 yards, T.O.P. 3:21.
- Field Goal Alabama: Reichard hits a 21-yard field goal to pull the Crimson Tide within 1. Georgia 13, Alabama 12 with 12:59 left to play in the game.
- Young's pass sails past an open Holden in the end zone. 4th down, and Alabama will send out the field goal unit.
- On 2nd and goal at the 5, Robinson rushes forward for a gain of 2. It'll be 3rd and goal at the 3.
- Young finds Hall in open space for a 28-yard reception. 1st and goal for Alabama at the 5-yard line.
- Georgia is called for an illegal hands to the face after a 3-yard rush by Robinson. The extra 15 yards makes it an 18-yard play. 1st and 10 at the UGA 33.
- End of the third quarter: Georgia 13, Alabama 9
- On 3rd and 3, Young finds Holden for a gain of 10 yards and a 1st down. 1st and 10 at the UA 42.
- Williams is on the sideline for Alabama wearing street clothes.
- Georgia's kickoff sails through the end zone for a touchback. 1st and 10 Alabama at its own 25.
- Georgia Drive Summary: 4 plays, 80 yards, T.O.P. 1:58.
- Touchdown Georgia: A 1-yard rush by White is all it took. The extra point is good. Georgia 13, Alabama 9 with 1:20 left to play in the third quarter.
- Alabama is called for a facemask penalty on 2nd and 6. Half the distance to the goal, and it will be 1st and goal at the UA 1.
- White busts through the line for the largest play of the game, a 67-yard rush. 1st and 10 Bulldogs at the UA 13.
- Reichard's field goal kick is partially blocked, recovered by Georgia at the UGA 20-yard line. 1st and 10 Bulldogs with 3:18 left to play in the third quarter.
- On 3rd and 11, Young's pass is incomplete. 4th down.
- Robinson rushes forward for a 2-yard gain and another 1st down at the UG 29-yard line.
- Georgia DL Jalen Carter is injured on the play. Officials timeout. 5:25 left to play in the third quarter.
- Young finds Robinson for a gain of 12 yards. 1st and 10 at the UGA 40.
- Ekiyor's helmet popped off on the play, so he will have to sit out the upcoming play.
- Holden now has three reception on this drive. Gain of 3.
- Sanders is in the game at running back. On 3rd and 3, Young finds Sanders for a gain of 3 and another 1st down at the UA 40.
- Traeshon Holden makes his first reception of the game for a gain of three yards. 1st and 10 at the UA 30.
- On 2nd and 9, Robinson rushes for a gain of 16 yards and a 1st down at the UA 19.
- Georgia's punt is downed at the UA 2-yard line. 1st and 10 Crimson Tide with 11:03 left in the third quarter.
- On 3rd and 7, Bennett's pass intended for Mitchell falls incomplete. 4th down at the UA 40.
- Georgia Interception: Christopher Smith makes the best of an overthrown pass by Young. 1st and 10 Bulldogs at the UA 43-yard line.
- Georgia's punt is fair caught by Bolden at the UA 7-yard line. 1st and 10 Alabama.
- Bennett is flushed out of the pocket, pursued by Harris and is forced to throw the ball away. 4th down.
- Bennett is called for intentional grounding. That will make it a 9-yard sack, 2nd and 20 on the UGA 46.
- A 19-yard reception by White gives the Bulldogs a 1st down at the UA 45. The previous play was an 11-yard rush, also by White.
- McKintosh kneels the kickoff for a touchback. 1st and 10 Georgia at its own 25.
- Bryce Young finished the first half throwing 15-of-26 for 206 yards and no touchdowns or interceptions. Comparatively, Stetson Bennett finished at 11-of-17 for 127, no touchdowns or interceptions.
- On the ground, Georgia's Zamir White has the most rushing yards of either team with 22 off of five carries. Alabama's Brian Robinson Jr. is right behind him with 7 carries for 18 yards.
- On total, Alabama had 216 offensive yards in the first half compared to Georgia's 153.
- When it comes to penalties, Alabama was called for just two for a total of 10 yards. Georgia, on the other hand, was called for seven penalties for a loss of 49 yards.
- Channing Tindall has the lone sack of Young by Georgia. Both linebackers Christian Harris and Dallas Turner each have one of Bennett.
- Georgia will get the ball to start the second half.
- Halftime: Alabama 9, Georgia 6
- White carries the ball for 10 yards and a first down.
- On 3rd and 5, Alabama calls a timeout. 0:22 seconds are left in the first half.
- Young's pass to Bolden falls incomplete on 3rd down, and Alabama sends out the punting unit. Jackson fields the punt for a fair catch at the UGA 10. 1st and 10 Bulldogs with 1:33 left in the first half.
- Hall's previous reception was the longest of his career. His previous longest was 10 yards. The 24-yard reception was just his third catch this season.
- On 3rd and 8, Georgia calls a timeout. 1:45 left to go in the first half.
- Young finds WR Agiye Hall for a 24-yard gain and a 1st down at the UGA 43.
- On 3rd and 7, Georgia is called for a pre-snap offsides. It is now 3rd and 2 at the UA 33.
- Georgia's kick sails to the end zone for a touchback. 1st and 10 for Alabama at its own 25.
- Georgia Drive Summary: 9 plays, 34 yards, T.O.P. 3:58.
- Field Goal Georgia: Podlesny hits a 49-yard field goal to pull the Bulldogs within 3. Alabama 9, Georgia 6 with 3:09 left to go in the first half.
- Bennett's pass complete to Jackson for a gain of eight yards. It'll be 4th and 6 at the UA 31.
- Bennett is forced to throw the football away on 2nd, bringing up 3rd and 14.
- On 1st and 10, Dallas Turner sacks Bennett for a loss of four yards. 2nd and 14 at the UA 39.
- Bennett connects with Adonai Mitchell for a 10-yard gain and another 1st down.
- Bennett finds Bowers for a 6-yard completion. 3rd and 4.
- Bennett's pass complete to RB Kenny McIntosh for 10 yards and a 1st down at the UGA 49.
- Reichard's kickoff sails out of bounds for a penalty. 1st and 10 Bulldogs at their own 35.
- Alabama Drive Summary: 6 plays, 55 yards, T.O.P. 2:29.
- Field Goal Alabama: Reichard hits a 37-yard field goal. Alabama 9, Georgia 3 with 7:07 remaining in the first half.
- Young is sacked for a loss of 13 yards on 3rd down.
- Young finds Latu, who streaks down the sidelines for a gain of 61 yards. 1st and goal at the UGA 8-yard line.
- On 3rd and 12, Bennett's pass complete to White but only gains four yards. Georgia punts the ball, fielded by Bolden at the 28. Bolden muffed the punt, but was able to recover it. 1st and 10 at the UA 26.
- A false start penalty backs Georgia up five more yards. 1st and 15 at the UGA 15.
- Georgia is called for holding on the kickoff, backing the Bulldogs all the way back to the 20-yard line of UGA. The original return was 59 yards.
- Georgia Drive Summary: 5 plays, 47 yards, T.O.P. 1:22.
- Field Goal Alabama: Reichard hits a 45-yard field goal to put Alabama back on top. Alabama 6, Georgia 3 with 11:13 remaining in the first half.
- Young's pass on 3rd and 6 complete to Bolden, but it is short of the line to gain.
- Williams is headed to the locker room under his own power with two trainers in tow.
- After a 40-yard reception by Williams, he is helped off the field by trainers. It looked like he injured his left knee on the play. 1st and 10 Crimson Tide at the UGA 35-yard line. Williams is now in the medical tent.
- Earle fields the kickoff in the end zone for a touchback. 1st and 10 Alabama at its own 25-yard line.
- Georgia Drive Summary: 11 plays, 87 yards, T.O.P. 5:51.
- Field Goal Georgia: Jack Podlesny hits a 24-yard field goal to tie the game. Alabama 3, Georgia 3 with 12:35 left in the first half.
- Bennett's pass intended for Bowers falls incomplete on 2nd down. On 3rd and goal at the UA 9, Bennett keeps the football but it tackled at the UA 5. 4th and goal.
- Bennett's pass complete to WR Jermaine Burton for 10 yards and a 1st down. 1st and goal at the UA 8.
- Bennett finds TE Brock Bowers for a gain of 5 yards. 3rd and 9 at the UA 18.
- End of the first quarter: Alabama 3, Georgia 0
- D.J. Dale, while being blocked, used one hand to down Georgia RB Zamir White for a 1-yard gain. 2nd and 14.
- A false start on Georgia backs the football up 5 yards. 1st and 15 at the UA 24.
- Bennett finds WR George Pickens deep down field, and Pickens makes an incredible catch for a gain of 52 yards. 1st and 10 Bulldogs at the UA 29.
- Bennett's pass complete to Darnell Washington for a 9-yard gain and a 1st down.
- Georgia is called for illegal hands to the face, negating a 4-yard rush. Half the distance to the goal, and it is now 1st and 14 at the UGA 4.
- Burnip's punt is fair-caught at the UGA 8-yard line. 1st and 10 Bulldogs.
- On 3rd and 6, Young's pass falls incomplete. Alabama will have to punt once again. The speed off the edge for Georgia is really impacting Young's performance thus far.
- Through Georgia's first two drives, the Bulldogs have recorded only one yard.
- On 3rd and 9 after two unsuccessful rushing attempts, Bennett's pass falls incomplete after being flushed out of the pocket. Georgia's punt is fielded by Bolden at the UA 30 for a fair catch. However, kick catch interference was called on Georgia for another 15 yards. 1st and 10 Alabama at its own 45-yard line. 4:12 is left on the clock for the first quarter.
- Alabama fails to convert on 3rd down, and that will send out the punting unit. James Burnip's punt is fair caught at the UGA 25. 1st and 10 Georgia with 5:46 left in the first quarter.
- On the second play of the drive, Young finds Williams for a gain of 14 yards. 1st and 10 at the UA 34.
- Bennett's pass intended for Ladd McConkey falls incomplete, and Georgia is forced to punt. Bolden calls for the fair catch at the 20-yard line, and Alabama will take over there with 8:19 left in the first quarter.
- Now Georgia gets called for a delay of game. That'll make it 3rd and 10 at the Georgia 25-yard line.
- Bennett scrambles for a gain of 14 yards. 3rd and 5.
- A 5-yard delay of game penalty on Alabama makes it 2nd and 19 for Georgia.
- On Georgia's first play from scrimmage, QB Stetson Bennett is sacked by Alabama linebacker Christian Harris for a loss of 14 yards. 2nd and 24.
- Reichard's kickoff is fielded in the end zone by Georgia for a touchback. The Bulldogs will start on their own 25-yard line. 1st and 10.
- Alabama Drive Summary: 14 plays, 56 yards, T.O.P. 5:05.
- Field Goal Alabama: Will Reichard hits a 37-yard field goal to put points on the board first. Alabama 3, Georgia 0 with 9:55 remaining in the first quarter.
- On 3rd and 5, Young's pass intended for TE Jahleel Billingsley falls incomplete. 4th down.
- Christian Leary now in at WR for Alabama.
- Trey Sanders now gets his first carry, a 1-yard gain and an Alabama 1st down.
- Robinson takes the football on the option pitch and rushes for a 1st down. 1st and 10 at the Georgia 34.
- Another 1st down for Alabama after an 11-yard connection between young and WR Jameson Williams.
- After review, video evidence showed Young's arm was moving forward. The touchdown is negated. It is now 2nd and 10 Crimson Tide at the 44-yard line.
- Young fumbled the football, scooped up by Georgia linebacker Nakobe Dean, who returned the ball 45 yards for a touchdown. However, the play is under review.
- On 3rd and 2, quarterback Bryce Young connects with wide receiver Slade Bolden for 11 yards and a first down.
- Emil Ekiyor Jr. and Chris Owens both started for Alabama on offensive line.
- Alabama RB Brian Robinson Jr. gets his first carry of the day, good for four yards.
- JoJo Earle signals for a fair catch, and Alabama will take possession at its own 25-yard line. 1st and 10 Crimson Tide.
- Georgia has won the coin toss and will defer to the second half. Alabama will receive. We are now just moments away from kickoff.
- We are now officially two hours away until kickoff.
- Alabama's jerseys are prepped and ready to go in the locker room:
- The quarterbacks and receivers have come out onto the field to begin warmups. John Metchie is wearing a track suit and is assisting the receivers, but will not participate in any further drills. Bryce Young is in the end zone stretching.
- Special teams have come out onto the field, including punters and place kickers. Agiye Hall has also come out with the wide receivers.
- Video of Young during warmups, courtesy of Katie Windham of BamaCentral:
- Tonight's flipcard with both teams' respective rosters:
- Big Al is ready to go:
- The long snappers have joined the placekickers and on the field and are now warming up. The quarterbacks and receivers have retreated back to the locker room.
- The quarterbacks have returned to the field with the centers. Chris Owens is dressed out and is snapping to Jalen Milroe. Seth McLaughlin is snapping to Bryce Young as first-string center. Darrian Dalcourt is snapping to Paul Tyson. Dalcourt will be playing tackle, but is one of the team's backup centers.
- The Georgia quarterbacks and centers have also stepped onto the field, with the wide receivers accompanying them.
- Owens is now going through o-line drills out of a tackle stance behind the quarterbacks. Owens has started the last two games at right tackle for Alabama.
- Alabama's captains are, as expected, quarterback Bryce Young, offensive tackle Evan Neal, defensive lineman Phidarian Mathis and outside linebacker Will Anderson Jr.
- Offensive lineman Emil Ekiyor Jr. is wearing a brace on his left shoulder, but is lined up with the first-team offensive line. It appears that he will start for the Crimson Tide.
- Linebacker Chris Allen is in street clothes during warmups and will not be playing in tonight's game.
- Tonight's officials: Referee, Duane Heydt; Umpire, Johnnie Forte; Linesman, Matt Fitzgerald; Line Judge, Steve Matarante; Back Judge, Keith Parham; Field Judge, Ryan Flynn; Side Judge, Jeff Shears; Center Judge, Adam Savoie. The group hails from the ACC.
- Some shots of players during warmups:
- Alabama first-team corners are Kool-Aid McKinstry and Khyree Jackson. Jalyn Armour-Davis (hip) is working with the second team with Terrion Arnold.
- Slade Bolden took the final punt as the team retreated off of the field. We are now just 30 minutes from kickoff here inside Lucas Oil Stadium.
- Both teams have stepped onto the field and we are just minutes away from kickoff.
If it feels like this matchup just happened, it is because it did.
A little over a month since the two teams met in the SEC title game in Atlanta, No. 1 Alabama and No. 3 Georgia will rematch in Indianapolis, this time with a national championship on the line.
It is also a rematch of the 2018 College Football Playoff title game between the Crimson Tide and Bulldogs when Alabama came away with the 26-23 overtime victory on the walk-off pass from Tua Tagovailoa to DeVonta Smith.
This is Georgia's first CFP title game appearance since that 2018 game and second overall. It is Alabama's sixth CFP national championship appearance in eight years with three national championships.
Here's everything you need to know about No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 3 Georgia.
How to Watch CFP National Title Game
Who: No. 1 Alabama vs No. 3 Georgia, College Football Playoff National Championship Game
When: 7 p.m. CT, Monday, Jan. 10
Where: Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana
Opening line per SI Sportsbook: Georgia -3
Series: The Crimson Tide and the Bulldogs have met a total of 71 times, with Alabama holding a 42-25-4 advantage in the series. The Crimson Tide currently has a seven-game winning streak over the Bulldogs dating back to 2008. Kirby Smart has faced Alabama four times as the head coach, and does not have any wins.
Most recently, the two teams met on Dec. 4 in the SEC Championship game with Alabama coming away with the 41-24 victory. In that game, Georgia was undefeated and No. 1 with the Crimson Tide coming away with the upset win. Bryce Young threw for 421 yards and three touchdowns, locking up the Hesiman that day. It was the same final score of the 2020 regular season matchup in Bryant-Denny Stadium
Last time out: Alabama handled business against No. 4 Cincinnati in the CFP Semifinal at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Behind a 204-yard rushing performance from Brian Robinson Jr. and stifling defensive pressure, the Crimson Tide beat the Bearcats 27-6 to grab a spot in the national championship for the second year in a row.
Down in Miami in the other semifinal, Georgia had complete control over No. 2 Michigan in the Orange Bowl. Stetson Bennett III had over 300 passing yards, and the Georgia defense forced three turnovers in the 34-11 win over the Wolverines to secure the rematch with Alabama.