Skip to main content

UPDATE: Ohio State Defensive Lineman Haskell Garrett to be Released from Hospital After Shooting

Buckeye senior suffered gunshot wound to the face, reportedly in stable condition.

Ohio State defensive tackle Haskell Garrett was injured late Saturday night from a non-lethal gunshot wound to the face, confirmed Sunday morning by Columbus Police.

UPDATE - August 31, 3:34 p.m. Eastern Time

According to a report in The Columbus Dispatch, Garrett told police he was breaking up a fight when he was shot on Sunday morning.

While he was walking toward the 400 block of Chittenden Avenue Sunday morning, Garrett noticed a man and a woman "arguing and being aggressive", according to a copy of the police report obtained by The Dispatch. Garrett asked the man to stop fighting and the man proceeded to pull out a gun and shoot Garrett one time. Garrett didn't know either person.

Police later found a gun shell casing at the scene and a trail of blood that led for half a mile. Garrett ran toward an apartment where a friend lives. No other details are known at this time and the police do not have any suspects identified.

UPDATE - August 31, 10:40 a.m. Eastern Time

Ohio State head coach Ryan Day issues a public statement supporting Haskell Garrett and his medical team. Garrett is expected to be released from the hospital today.

Scroll to Continue

Read More

"Haskell Garrett has been receiving excellent care at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center for the injuries he received on Sunday. We anticipate he will be released from the Medical Center this morning. On behalf of his family and this football program, we would like to thank all those who have been a part of Haskell’s treatment and we are grateful that he will be heading home today. We will continue to help him and his family any way we can to expedite his recovery."

August 30, 9:45 a.m. Eastern Time

According to initial reports from both the Columbus Dispatch and 10TV, officers responded shortly after midnight to the 400 block area of Chittenden Avenue for a reported shooting. Garrett was found at 12:28 a.m. after police located a trail of blood and shell casings.

Garrett, suffering a through-and-through wound in the cheek, was transported to the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center. He is reportedly in stable condition and expected to recover. Police have opened an investigation but did not provide any further information regarding a potential suspect.

A senior from Las Vegas, Garrett is a veteran of 33 games for the Buckeyes and a key member of the defensive line rotation. He played in 11 contests last year, making 10 tackles and 2.5 for a loss.

Additionally, Garrett is the Big Ten’s highest-graded returning defensive tackle for the 2020 season according to Pro Football Focus College. Garrett was a top 75 recruit nationally coming out of Bishop Gorman High School.

This is a breaking news story and will continue to be updated as more details become available.

Follow BuckeyesNow through all of our social media outlets (@BuckeyesNowSI) on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube for continued coverage!