LAS VEGAS — Purdue football finished the 2022 NFL Draft with three players being selected through seven rounds as fullback Zander Horvath was selected with the 260th overall pick by the Los Angeles Chargers.
Horvath Joins teammates George Karlaftis and David Bell in this year's NFL Draft class. Karlaftis was taken in the first round by the Kansas City Chiefs while Bell went off the board in the third round after being selected by the Cleveland Browns.
It was the Boilermakers' first three-man draft class since the 2008 NFL Draft, and Horvath is the first Purdue player taken by the Chargers since Nick Hardwick and Shaun Phillips were selected in the third and fourth rounds in 2004.
During a four-year playing career with the Purdue football program, Horvath — a former walk-on — compiled 1,181 total rushing yards to go along with eight touchdowns. He averaged 4.4 yards per carry while also adding 592 yards receiving and one score.
During the 2021 season, Horvath rushed for just 320 yards in eight games after missing five contests due to a lower leg injury. However, he still led the team with three rushing touchdowns and was second in rushing yards.
Horvath is the first Purdue running back to be drafted since Edwin Watson, who was selected in the seventh round by the Green Bay Packers in the 1998 NFL Draft.
- BIG TEN DRAFT TRACKER — DAY 1: Michigan defensive end Aidan Hutchinson headlined a pool of several Big Ten players looking to hear their name called in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft on Thursday night. CLICK HERE
- BIG TEN DRAFT TRACKER — DAY 2: Michigan pass rusher David Ojabo slipped through the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft after suffering an Achilles injury during his pro day. He was still among the top available prospects when the second and third rounds commenced on Friday night. CLICK HERE
- BIG TEN DRAFT TRACKER – DAY 3: Saturday marks the final day of the 2022 NFL Draft, and several Big Ten athletes are still awaiting their opportunity to play at the next level. Those who aren't selected in the three-day event will have the opportunity to sign undrafted free agent contracts. CLICK HERE
- GEORGE KARLAFTIS SELECTED BY CHIEFS: Purdue defensive end George Karlaftis was taken with the 30th pick in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. He is the program's first opening-round selection since Ryan Kerrigan in 2011. CLICK HERE
- DAVID BELL SELECTED BY BROWNS: David Bell was the second Purdue player off the board when he was selected in the third round by the Cleveland Browns with the 99th overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. He was the 2021 Big Ten Receiver of the Year. CLICK HERE
Follow D.J. Fezler on Twitter