Live updates: Alabama Basketball vs. North Carolina
We're about set to tip-off. The game is being shown on ESPN.
Alabama's starting lineup: Kira Lewis Jr., John Petty Jr., Herbert Jones, Alex Reese and Javian Davis.
UNC counters with Leaky Black, Cole Anthony, Brandon Robinson, Armando Bacot and Garrison Brooks.
Some pregame notes:
- A Southeastern Conference team has never won the Battle 4 Atlantis event. Texas A&M had the league’s best finish in the event, when the Aggies finished runner-up in 2015. Other SEC top finishes include Tennessee’s third-place result in 2017 and Missouri had a fourth-place finish in 2012.
- The last time Alabama defeated a team ranked in the top five of the AP Poll came on Dec. 30, 2017 when UA toppled then-No. 5 Texas A&M 79-57 in Coleman Coliseum. The last time Alabama captured a victory over a top-five opponent away from Coleman Coliseum came on Feb. 21, 2004, when the Tide captured a 77-73 win at Mississippi State in Starkville, Miss.
- According to the latest KenPom.com stats (as of 11/21), Alabama ranks second in the nation in adjusted tempo (78.9) and is 13th nationally in average possession length (14.4). Last season, head coach Nate Oats’ Buffalo team finished 11th in the nation in adjusted tempo (73.6) and ranked fourth in average possession length (14.4).
- Despite being undersized, Alabama has been a dominant rebounding team in its four games. Over the stretch to start the year, the Crimson Tide has recorded at least 40 rebounds in each game and is average 44.0 rebounds per contest. Entering the Battle 4 Atlantis, Alabama boasts a +10.5 advantage on the glass (44.0-33.5). That number ranks fourth in the Southeastern Conference and 29th in the nation (as of 11/21).
- Sophomore Kira Lewis Jr. was selected to the coaches 2019-20 SEC Preseason First Team and is proving early on why he deserved the honor. Lewis leads the team in scoring (21.5 ppg), assists (5.0 apg), steals (1.8 spg) and three-point field goal percentage (40.0 percent). He ranks second in the SEC and 29th in the nation in scoring and leads the league and ranks 10th nationally in minutes per game.
- Alabama enters the game against No. 5/4 North Carolina ranked among the Southeastern Conference leaders in several categories through the early part of the season. The Crimson Tide currently ranks among the top five in the league in the following categories: Defensive rebounds (32.0 - t1st), three-point field goals made per game (10.0 - 2nd), rebounding offense (44.0 - 3rd), rebounding margin (+10.5 - 4th), blocked shots (5.3 - t4th), scoring offense (79.5 - 5th) and free throw percentage (.736 - 5th).
• The winner of this game gets Michigan, which won the opener against Iowa State, 83-76.
• Herb Jones has missed three early shots all around the rim. He made the fourth, but Alabama is down early 7-2. At first media time out Alabama is 1-for-7 from the floor with three turnovers.
• Alabama was dead in the water offensively until Petty hit a pair of 3s. Tide pulled to within 13-12 off a steal and dunk by Lewis.
• Second media time out, Alabama trailing just 15-12. Tide 5-for-17 from the floor, but UNC just 6-for-17. Brooks leads the Tar Heels with eight points.
• Alabama has tied the game at 17 on a Reese tip-in.
• Tide is 3-for-14 from 3-point range so far. UNC is 1-for-3. Tar Heels up 22-17 with 7:41 until halftime.
• Smith picks up his third foul. UNC trying to pull away just before halftime, turning it up in terms of effort. Tar Heels up 30-22.
• And just like that the momentum turns the other way as Petty hits another 3, has 12, and following a charge Jones scores to make it 30-27. 4 minutes until halftime.
• Petty with another 3. That's his fifth. Ties game at 30.
• Hard drive by Reese, he's very slow to get up. Seemed to grab his right shoulder. He heads to the locker room early. Tide already being out-rebounded 28-16.
• Alabama was playing for the last shot, Lewis drove too early and called for a change - his third foul. Halftime: UNC 37, Alabama 31.
• Reese is back on the floor at the start of the second half.
• Tide gets sloppy, aiding a 6-0 run by UNC to pull ahead 43-34 with 16:69 to go. Alabama has had fewer turnovers, 13-9, but the TarHeels have better taken care of their opportunities.
• Alabama blinked, and suddenly finds itself down by 15. UNC on 14-2 run over last 4:22. Alabama has made 1 of last 8 shots. Reese ends drought with a 3. 51-39.
• Time out: UNC ahead 54-42. Tar Heels in full command.