ATLANTA— It all comes down to this. A top-three matchup with College Football Playoff implications and an SEC title on the line.
No. 3 Alabama, the champions of the SEC West, will take on the undefeated and No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs, the champions of the SEC East. It is the first time the two teams have met in the SEC championship game since 2018.
Follow along for live updates, stats and analysis from Mercedes-Benz Stadium as the Crimson Tide take on the Bulldogs in the SEC Championship. (most recent updates at the top)
FINAL SCORE: No. 3 Alabama 41, No. 1 Georgia 28
- Bowers drops it on fourth down, and Alabama will get to end the game by taking a knee.
- Will Anderson Jr. finally gets his sack with less than two minutes left.
- Will Reichard nails the 41-yard field goal to push the Alabama lead to 17. Alabama 41, Georgia 24, 1:59 4Q
- Robinson rushes for a one-yard loss, and Georgia takes its final timeout with 2:03 left.
- Georgia take its second timeout with 2:08 left. It will be third-and-nine from the Georgia 23 coming out of the timeout for Alabama.
- Ja'Corey Brooks with his first catch of the day. It goes for nine yards and an Alabama first down.
- Trey Sanders with a 14-yard rush, his longest of the day, to give Alabama another first down.
- Cameron Latu is called for a false start on first down, 5:00 left.
- A pass interference call on Georgia gives the Crimson Tide a first down into Bulldog territory.
- Young finds Slade Bolden over the middle on third-and-five for a 24-yard gain.
- Alabama begins the drive from the 14 and opens the drive with a five-yard run from Trey Sanders.
- After a false start penalty on fourth-and-10, Georgia sends out the punt unit.
- The third down pass is incomplete as well, but Georgia is in a position where they have to go for it on fourth down.
- Heavy pressure from the Alabama defense causes two straight incompletions from Bennett.
- Bennett to Bowers for 19 yards on first down. And then right back to Bowers again for 11 yards and another first down.
- A completion to Bolden on third down comes up just short of the first down, and Alabama punts again.
- A one-yard rush from Robinson and incompletion from Young sets up a third-and-nine for the Crimson Tide.
- The Georgia kick is a touchback, and Alabama will start from the 25.
- Bowers just creating all kinds of problems for the Alabama defense. he busts through four Alabama tacklers for an 18-yard touchdown. The PAT is good. Georgia cuts it to 14 points. Alabama 38, Georgia 24, 9:42 4Q
- It took 2:17 for Georgia to go seven plays and 75 yards. Bowers had three catches on the drive, including the touchdown.
- Christian Harris is shaken up on the next play, but is able to walk off the field under his own power.
- Brock Bowers torches the Alabama defense again. This time for 31 yards to the Alabama 30.
- Jordan Battle with a pick six. That should pretty much do it for the Crimson Tide. Reichard's PAT is good. Alabama 38, Georgia 17, 11:59 4Q
- Battle's pick six is the first in the SEC title game since Minkah Fitzpatrick's in 2016.
- Back to back runs from James Cook are enough to give Georgia a first down.
- On third-and-three, Bryce Young is forced to throw it away as he faces pressure from the Bulldog defense. A big stop by Georgia with 13:22 to go. James Burnip is on to punt for Alabama.
- Traeshon Holden has his first catch of the day for 15 yards and an Alabama first down.
- The Alabama offense gets the ball to start the quarter after the defense forced the turnover on downs to end the third.
END OF THIRD QUARTER: No. 3 Alabama 31, No. 1 Georgia 17
Third Quarter stats below
- Georgia goes for it on fourth down, and the pressure from Jordan Battle forces an incompletion from Bennett. A huge turnover on downs is forced by the defense to end the third quarter.
- A pass intended for Brock Bowers in the end zone is bobbled on the way down and defended Hellams and Wright. Alabama gets a stop on third down, but it looks like Georgia may be going for it on fourth down.
- A short gain and incompletion set up a third-and-nine for Georgia from the Alabama 19.
- Bennett finds his favorite target Bowers for a seven-yard gain which is followed by a McIntosh run inside the Alabama 20.
- Kenny McIntosh with a 12-yard run down to the Alabama 34.
- Bennett scrambles for the first down on the next play after the sack.
- The Alabama front is starting to create all sorts of problems for the Georgia offensive line. Phidarian Mathis with the sack on first down.
- Bennett finds Bowers for an 11-yard gain on third down. Georgia out to the 44 with less than four minutes to go in the third.
- Georgia begins the drive from its own 27.
- Bryce Young is nearly intercepted on third down, and Alabama will have to punt for the first time since the first quarter.
- Two straight incompletions set up a third-and-10 for Alabama from their own 35.
- Georgia is called for pass interference on a pass intended for Ja'Corey Brooks. The Crimson Tide moves out to the 35.
- Alabama opens the possession similar to the last drive with a screen/sweep to Jameson Williams. It's once again successful, this time it's good enough for a first down.
- DeMarcco Hellams comes up huge for Alabama with an interception in the red zone at the Alabama 12. The Alabama defense keeps Georgia off the scoreboard.
- It's Hellams third interception of the year.
- The pressure came from Will Anderson Jr. on the play that caused Bennett to make the mistake. It's the first turnover of the game for either team.
- A quarterback sneak gets the Bulldogs the first down into the Alabama red zone.
- After review, Bennett is half a yard short, bringing up fourth down. The Bulldogs keep the offense out on the field.
- Bennett scrambles close to the first-down marker on third down. Initially ruled a first down on the field, the play is now under review.
- Georgia loses five yards on a screen on second down and now face a third-and-15.
- A bobbled snap by Bennett is recovered by Alabama, but a false start is called on the Bulldogs, so Georgia retains possession.
- Kool-Aid McKinstry is called for his second pass interference of the game to give Georgia 15 yards and a first down into Alabama territory.
- Georgia converts on third-and-eight with a completion to Jermaine Burton. The Bulldogs are out to their own 42.
- Will Anderson Jr. picks up his first tackle for loss of the game on second down.
- Georgia opens its first second-half possession from the 25.
- The deep ball connection to Jameson Williams finally comes through for Bryce Young. It's a 55-yard touchdown for Williams, and Alabama comes out of the half strong. Reichard's PAT is good. Alabama 31, Georgia 17 13:10 3Q
- Five straight possessions with a score for Alabama.
- John Metchie III is out for the rest of the game according to the CBS broadcast.
- Brian Robinson Jr. power through the Bulldog defense for a first down on third-and-short.
- Jameson Williams has a nine-yard pickup on first down. Jahleel Billingsley drops a pass on second down that would've been a first down.
- Alabama will open the second half from the 25. John Metchie III is not currently out on the field with the offense.
- The 24 second-quarter points by the Crimson Tide are the most scored by any team in conference championship game history.
- Alabama scored on four consecutive drives to close out the second quarter and will get the ball to start the second half.
- Alabama has now scored more points (24) in the first half than any team had score in a single game against Georgia all season. The previous high was 17 be Tennessee.
- Bryce Young set the SEC Championship game record for passing yards in the first half with 286.
HALFTIME: No. 3 Alabama 24, No. 1 Georgia 17
First Half Stats
- Bryce Young runs it in on his own from 11 yards out. Touchdown Alabama. The PAT is good. Alabama 24, Georgia 17, 0:26 2Q
- On the drive, Young set the SEC Championship game record for most passing yards in a half, surpassing Cam Newton's record from 2010.
- Slade Bolden with a catch down to the Georgia 11 with 33 seconds left. Alabama takes its first timeout of the half.
- Metchie is assisted off the field by the medical staff, but is able to put weight on both legs, though walking gingerly.
- He was not taken to the medical tent.
- On second-and-10, Young fumbles the ball after scrambling for the first down, but he is able to recover his own fumble. However, the bigger issue for the Crimson Tide is that John Metchie is down on the play. HE is being attended to by the Alabama medical staff.
- John Metchie III is wide open on third-and-10 and takes the ball down to the Georgia 39-yard line with 1:13 left in the half.
- Alabama goes for the deep ball to Williams on second down, but he and Young can't connect.
- Catches from Billingsley and Robinson give Alabama a first down.
- Alabama with the chance to run the two-minute drill before the half with all three timeouts remaining.
- The next play is a 32-yard touchdown pass to Ladd McConkey over the middle. Georgia ties it up. Georgia 17, Alabama 17, 2:06 2Q
- A three-play, 75-yard drive for Georgia that was aided by 40 yards of Alabama penalties.
- The next play is also pass interference. This time on Brian Branch. Four plays in a row with a penalty.
- The next play is pass interference called on Kool-Aid McKinstry. First down for Georgia.
- A big gain for Georgia is wiped out by a holding penalty on the Bulldogs. Now, it's first-and-20 for Georgia from the 25 with 3:10 left.
- Defensive holding on Josh Jobe gives the Bulldogs a first down.
- Alabama will get the ball to start the second half, so a stop by the Crimson Tide defense here would be huge.
- Will Reichard nails the 33-yard kick to extend Alabama's lead to seven. Alabama 17, Georgia 10, 3:28 2Q
- 17 unanswered points for the Crimson Tide
- Alabama has scored as many points in this half (17) as Georgia has given up in a game this season.
- The Alabama play gets blown up on third down, and Young is forced to throw it away. Will Reichard is out for the kick.
- Bryce Young scrambles for 15 yards down near the red zone, his longest rushing play of the game.
- Jameson Williams picks up 12 on second down, and Trey Sanders rushes through the left side for a first down on third down. Alabama now at the Georgia 38 with about five minutes to go in the half.
- Robinson Jr. with his best rush of the day for 15 yards to the 49.
- Once again, Young is able to escape pressure and finds Jahleel Billingsley for a first down to the 36.
- Beginning from their own six-yard line, Alabama immediately gets a little breathing room with a seven-yard completion to Metchie. A short run from Robinson sets up a third-and-two for the Crimson Tide.
- The Alabama defense comes up with another three-and-out. Jake Camarda out to punt again for the Bulldogs. Slade Bolden deep for Alabama.
- Metchie with the 13-yard touchdown catch, and he hits the crane. Alabama takes the lead for the first time today. Alabama 14, Georgia 10, 9:46 2Q
- It was a six-play, 80-yard drive for the Crimson Tide.
- The Alabama offense is able to capitalize on the three-and-out forced by the defense.
- An overall very impressive drive by Bryce Young. The offensive line has also been giving him enough time to throw against the Georgia front seven.
- Bryce Young with a Houdini-like play to escape the pressure from Georgia defenders, and flips the ball to Robinson who takes it 11 yards to the UGA 14.
- The very next play, is a 23-yard gain from Jameson Williams into Bulldog territory.
- Metchie with a nice catch over the top of the Georgia defense on first-and-20 for a 40-yard gain.
- Alabama has a nice run from Trey Sanders on first down, but it is wiped out by a holding call on Seth McLaughlin.
- The Georgia receiver can't come in with the catch on third down, and the Alabama defense does indeed force a three-and-out for the first time this game.
- While it is certainly important that the Crimson Tide scored, the quick Alabama possession didn't give the defense much of a break. It would be beneficial for multiple reasons for them to get a three-and-out on this upcoming possession.
- On third-and-two, Young finds Jameson Williams over the middle, and his speed does the rest. A 67-yard touchdown catch for Williams. Alabama answers the Bulldogs. Georgia 10, Alabama 7, 14:12 2Q
- The 67-yard score is the longest play given up by the Georgia defense this year.
- Bryce Young has almost no time to throw on first down, and his pass for Jahleel Billingsley falls incomplete.
- The first play of the second quarter is a touchdown pass from Bennett to the 6'7", 265-pound tight end Darnell Washington. He was a complete size mismatch with Henry To'oTo'o over the middle. The PAT is good. Georgia 10, Alabama 0, 14:56 2Q
- The touchdown caps an eight-play, 98-yard drive for the Bulldgos.
- Stetson Bennett is now 9-11 for 131 yards and a touchdown.
END OF FIRST QUARTER: Georgia 3, Alabama 0
First Quarter Stats
- Georgia had the ball for 11:28 of the 15 minutes in the first quarter.
- Zamir White rushes for three yards to the Alabama five, and that will end the first quarter.
- On first down, George Pickens has a big 37-yard catch down to the Alabama eight yard line as the first quarter winds down.
- John FitzPatrick is wide open over the middle for a first down into Alabama territory for the Bulldogs.
- Bennett finds Jermaine Burton for a 16-yard gain to give Georgia some breathing room and a first down.
- Some pre-snap movement on first down pushes Georgia a little closer to its on goal line.
- Khyree Jackson downs the punt at Georgia three-yard line. Alabama can flip the field position on this possession.
- The third down pass falls incomplete in no-man's land, and Alabama will have to punt again.
- Young's pass is deflected on second down. Would've been a big gain for Brian Robinson Jr. Alabama facing a third-and-10 now.
- Alabama takes a deep shot for Jameson Williams on first down, but it falls incomplete.
- On second-and-eight, Young somehow finds Latu through traffic for a first down into Georgia territory.
- On third-and-one, Alabama goes empty backfield, and Young finds Slade Bolden for a first down.
- Metchie picks up eight yards on first down for Alabama. Trey Sanders is now in at running back for the Crimson Tide.
- It's a touchback for the Bulldogs, and Alabama's second offensive possession will start at the 25.
- Jack Podlesny hits a 38-yard field goal to give the Bulldogs an early 3-0 lead. Georgia 3, Alabama 0, 6:01 1Q
- It was an 11-play, 52-yard, 6:28 drive for Georgia. The big play from the freshman Turner on third down prevented the Bulldogs from getting a shot at the end zone.
- Dallas Turner with a long sack of Bennett on third down. Georgia will have to settle for a field goal.
- Third-and-three coming up for the Bulldogs from the Alabama 11.
- Bennett finds his favorite target, tight end Brock Bowers, for 18 yards down into the Alabama red zone.
- The Bulldogs with back-to-back chunk runs to get into Alabama territory.
- On third-and-one, Cook picks up eight yards to the 44 for a first down.
- Bennett runs for one yard on first down for Georgia. Henry To'oTo'o and DeMarcco Hellams combine for the stop.
- John Metchie III can't come up with the catch on third-and-five, and Alabama is forced to punt. Jameson Williams makes the tackle on punt coverage and runs over to the Alabama student section to fire up the crowd.
- James Burnip's punt goes for 50 yards. It is first punt of the year to go for 50 or more yards.
- Brian Robinson Jr. picks up five yards on second down for his first carry of the game. Third down coming up for Alabama.
- The first Crimson Tide offensive play is a quick screen to Jameson Williams which picks up a first down out to the 18.
- Brian Robinson Jr. is on the field at running back for Alabama on the first series.
- Alabama will begin its first offensive possession from its own eight-yard line.
- After the penalty, Georgia gains no yards on three straight plays, and the Bulldogs are forced to punt. On the third-and-10 play, Daniel Wright had a nice safety blitz to get pressure on Bennett. Jordan Battle nearly gets an interception on the play.
- The opening play is a swing pass from Stetson Bennett to James Cook, and a late hit penalty gives the Bulldogs an extra 15 yards into Alabama territory.
- Will Reichard kicks things off, and we are underway in Atlanta. Georgia will begin from their own 26.
- Alabama wins the toss and defers to the second half. Georgia will get things going on offense.
- The crowd is at least 70/30 Georgia fans, if not even more leaning toward the Bulldogs.
- Neither team has emerged from the tunnels yet with five minutes to kickoff.
- According to the in-stadium game clock, the game will kick off around 3:10.
- The Georgia band has been doing a long pregame show, and the Million Dollar Band has not left the stands, so they must be performing at halftime only.
- Brian Robinson Jr. is named the starter at running back on the Jumbotron, which draws a big cheer for the Alabama crowd.
- Kool-Aid McKinstry is named as a starter. He filled in for Jalyn Armour-Davis in the Iron Bowl. Armour-Davis is dressed out in warmups.
- From left to right, Alabama's starting offensive line in warmups is Evan Neal, Javion Cohen, Seth McLaughlin, Emil Ekiyor and Chris Owens.
- In pregame drills, the order of running backs is Robinson, Trey Sanders, Christian Leary and Demouy Kennedy.
- Phidarian Mathis, Will Anderson Jr., and Bryce Young are today's captains for the Crimson Tide in the SEC Championship game.
- Freshman WR JoJo Earle has also been participating in warmups. Saban said he was unlikely to play in this game.
- Running back Brian Robinson Jr. is out on the field fully dressed out in warmups and participating in some drills. His left leg is heavily wrapped. Saban has repeatedly said throughout the week that he will be a game time decision.
- Chris Owens is also taking warmup snaps with Young.
- Seth McLaughlin is snapping to Bryce Young in pregame warmups. Darrian Dalcourt (ankle) is dressed out and is snapping to Jalen Milroe.
- Jame Burnip was holding for Will Reichard while Paul Tyson was holding for Jack Martin.
- The first group of Crimson Tide players has taken the field for early warmups and stretches. It is mostly receivers and specialists.
- Saban has done his walk through of Mercedes-Benz.
- Today's officials
- Referee: Ken Williamson
- Umpire: Russ Pulley
- Center Judge: Scott Walker
- Head Line Judge: Nicholas Theriot
- Line Judge: Walter Flowers
- Side Judge: Justin Larrew
- Back Judge: Tom Fimmen
- Alternate Official: Bryan Murphy
- Instant Replay: David Almand
- SEC Coordinator of Football Officials: John McDaid
How to Watch Alabama vs Georgia
Who: No. 1 Georgia vs No. 3 Alabama, SEC Championship Game
When: 3 p.m. CT, Saturday, Dec. 4
Where: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Ga.
Opening line per SI Sportsbook: Georgia -6
Series: The Crimson Tide and the Bulldogs have met a total of 70 times, with Alabama holding a 41-25-4 advantage in the series. The Crimson Tide currently has a six-game winning streak over the Bulldogs dating back to 2008.
The last times the two teams faced each other was the 2020 regular season. Down 24-17 with just minutes to go before halftime, Alabama place kicker Will Reichard nailed a 52-yard field goal as the clock expired to send both teams into the locker room and the Crimson Tide with a huge momentum boost. After the teams returned to the field, it was all Alabama as the Crimson Tide defeated the Bulldogs 41-24.
Last time out: Alabama downed Auburn at the 2021 Iron Bowl in a thrilling quadruple-overtime comeback. Heading into the final two minutes of the game, the Crimson Tide trailed the Tigers 10-3, but a touchdown pass from Bryce Young to Ja'Corey Brooks took the game into extra periods, where Alabama ultimately prevailed in thrilling fashion by a margin of 24-22.
For Georgia, it was business as usual in Week 13 as the Bulldogs demolished rival Georgia Tech 45-0. Quarterback Stetson Bennett completed 14-of-20 passes for 255 yards and four touchdowns while the Bulldogs defense held the Yellow Jackets to just 166 total yards.