Jackson State is getting recognition from the FCS national pollsters for the program's 6-1, 4-0 SWAC record. Last weekend, Gary Harrell was interim head coach subbing for Deion Sanders, who is still under doctor's orders to rest following the previous month's foot surgery.
JACKSON STATE IN THE POLLS
The Tigers leaped four spots in both the FCS Coaches and STATS PERFORM polls for Week 9. JSU went from No. 20 to No. 16 (FCS Coaches) and No. 24 to No. 20 (STAT PERFORM) in the nation.
- HBCU Legends Top 5 Power Rankings: #1 - Jackson State
- BOXTOROW HBCU Football Coaches Poll: #1 - Jackson State
- BOXTOROW HBCU Football Media Poll: #1 - Jackson State
NCAA's Stan Becton predicts Jackson State will win the SWAC. Becton wrote, "The path to the SWAC championship should be easy for the Tigers, given the remaining opponents on their schedule."
OFFENSE AND DEFENSIVE RANKINGS
Coach Thurman's defensive unit remains solid and is ranked No. 1 in the SWAC and No.2 in the FCS for total defense. The Tigers surrendered 237.9 yards per game, 3.63 yards per play, and eight offensive touchdowns in seven games.
The JSU offense is not in the FCS Top 50 for Week 9. Prairie View (22), Alabama A&M (25), Texas Southern (37), and Southern (49) were the top offenses from the SWAC in the Top 50.
HBCU SPORTS COVERAGE
- Could FBS Schools Be Overlooking Deion Sanders as a Head Coach?
- Morehouse College's 3-Game Winning Streak
- SWAC's Tope Dawgs on a Collision Course
- MEAC Selects First Female Commissioner
- FAMU AD Wants More Inclusion for HBCU Schools in FCS Playoffs
- Who Has the Best HBCU Defense? Jackson State or Florida A&M?
- Texas Southern Basketball Team Voted No. 1 in SWAC, Receive NCAA Tourney Rings
- NC A&T Female Golfer Sets Course Record
- The Coach Prime Report for Week 8
- HBCU Football's Top 5 Power Rankings for Week 8
- Watch: Shedeur Sanders' Incredible Touchdown Pass