BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Indiana got its first football commitment of 2022 on the offensive side of the ball on Tuesday night when quarterback Josh Hoover of Rockwall, Texas committed to the Hoosiers.
"First off I want to thank God for this opportunity and the chance to live out my dreams. I want to thank my family for all of their love and support. Thank you to the coaches, teachers, and other individuals who have poured into me over the years. Thank you to Coach Allen, Coach Sheridan, and the entire IU coaching staff for giving me this opportunity!! Go Hoosiers! Luke 10:2.''
Heath, a three-star quarterback who's one of the top recruits in the Dallas area, had more than a dozen offers, most notably from Arkansas, SMU and Houston.
According to the Dallas Morning News, Hoover led Rockwall-Heath to a 11-3 record last year before the Hawks fell to Cedar Hill – the eventual state runner-up – in overtime of the fourth round of the playoffs. Hoover finished his junior season with 3,496 passing yards, 36 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He also had four rushing touchdowns.
“I think as far as a cultural perspective, as far as everything that Coach (Tom) Allen preaches, I really love it and just the way they go about their business and the culture they even instilled there at Indiana,” Hoover told 247Sports.
“It’s just really attractive. I think what they do offensively fits me as a player. They have a lot of great players and a lot of great coaches and it seems like a great atmosphere. So that's what really attracts me to them.”
Indiana currently has four quarterbacks on scholarship, redshirt juniors Michael Penix Jr. and Jack Tuttle, redshirt freshman Dexter Williams and true freshman Donaven McCulley.
Related stories on Indiana recruiting
- ISAIAH JONES: Linebacker Isaiah Jones of London, Ohio committed to Indiana on Sunday. Jones is 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds, and received substantial interest from Minnesota, Cincinnati, Duke, Wake Forest and several MAC schools. CLICK HERE
- TREVELL MULLEN: Four-star Florida cornerback Trevell Mullen, the younger brother of Indiana All-American cornerback Tiawan Mullen, committed to Indiana on Sunday after his official visit to Bloomington. CLICK HERE
- DASAN McCULLOUGH: Four-star athlete Dasan McCullough, one of the top players in the Class of 2022, has de-committed from Ohio State and will join Indiana instead. His father is Indiana running backs coach Deland McCullough. CLICK HERE
- KAIDEN TURNER: Arkansas linebacker Kaiden Turner loves what Indiana's linebackers do, and he's thrilled to commit to the Hoosiers and join that outastanding group. CLICK HERE
- RICHARD THOMAS: South Florida defensive end Richard Thomas has committed to Indiana, keeping the Florida-to-Bloomington pipeline alive for Tom Allen and his Hoosiers. CLICK HERE
- INDIANA SCHEDULE: Here is the complete Indiana football schedule for the 2021 season. CLICK HERE