What's a hiring cycle for head coaches without Sean McVay's assistants drawing interest across the league?
McVay has groomed Brandon Staley, Zac Taylor and Matt LaFleur into becoming NFL head coaches while serving as coordinators or position coaches with the Rams prior to being handed the keys to a franchise.
Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell is among the latest McVay understudy to presumably be in line for a head coaching opportunity. O'Connell is in his second season working under McVay, assisting with game-planning but is not the official play-caller. That role belongs to McVay.
On Saturday, O'Connell received an interview request from the Minnesota Vikings for their head coaching vacancy, according to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.
The Vikings would mark the third team that's shown interest in O'Connell, as the Denver Broncos requested an interview for their head coaching job and the Carolina Panthers have eyed him for their offensive coordinator position.
Which Undrafted Free Agents Have Best Chance To Make Rams' Roster?
Of the 17 undrafted free agents, these two prospects could have the best chance carve out a role early in 2022 for the Rams
Rams' Sean McVay Says He's 'Nowhere Close' to Leaving Coaching
McVay flirted with a massive broadcasting deal this spring after winning a Super Bowl in February
Could Rams' Cooper Kupp Be Even Better This Season? Sean McVay Says Yes
On top of leading the league in all three major receiving categories and winning Offensive Player of the Year, Kupp was named Super Bowl LVI MVP following LA's win over the Bengals
If O'Connell was indeed offered the offensive coordinator job in Carolina, the Rams would have the opportunity to block the hiring due to it being a lateral move and not a promotion to a head coaching position.
The Vikings and Broncos are moving on from a previous regime led by defensive-minded coaches. Often, teams that fire a coaching staff that was defensive-oriented tend to change the dynamics are reverse course to the offensive side of the ball. Certainly, these teams could still come away with a defensive-minded coach but if they do want more of a profound focus on offense, O'Connell would fit the script.
Rams running backs coach and assistant head coach Thomas Brown has also garnered head coaching interest, receiving an interview request on Friday from the Miami Dolphins.
More from Ram Digest:
- The Rams Playoff Success Hinges on Which Version of Matthew Stafford Shows Up
- Rams' Friday Injury Report for Wild Card Round vs. Cardinals
- Rams Assistant Coaches Drawing Interest for Vacant Head Coaching Jobs
- Cam Akers Says he Feels 100 Percent, Ready to Prove it on the Field for Rams' Postseason Push
- Three Rams Named to 2021 All-Pro Team, Featuring Two Unanimous Selections
- Rams vs. Cardinals Wild Card Round: How to Watch, Stream and Listen
- Eric Weddle's Second Calling With the Rams is More Than Having the Itch, it's an 'Opportunity of a Limetime'
- Rams' Thursday Injury Report for Wild Card Round vs. Cardinals
- Rams vs. Cardinals Wild Card Round Preview: NFC West Foes Meet for Round Three
- Cardinals' DeAndre Hopkins Not Available to Make Return vs. Rams, J.J. Watt's Status Remains in Question