Live Updates: Alabama Basketball Hosts Stephen F. Austin
TUSCALOOSA, Ala - Alabama men's basketball (3-4) has returned from the Bahamas to face the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (7-1).
Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. on SEC Network Plus.
The Crimson Tide is coming off of a stretch of games in the Battle For Atlantis tournament that saw a win over Southern Miss and two defeats to North Carolina and Iowa State.
The Lumberjacks are on a three-game winning streak that includes a victory over then No. 1 ranked Duke on Nov. 26.
Starting lineup for the Crimson Tide: Javian Davis, Herbert Jones, Kira Lewis, Jr., Alex Reese, John Petty, Jr.
Starting lineup for the Lumberjacks: Kevon Harris, Roti Ware, John Comeaux, Gavin Kensmil, Nathan Bain.
- Davis wins the tip for the Crimson Tide.
- Lewis turns it over on the first possession, which leads to a Lumberjack layup on the other end.
- Davis has accounted for all three of Alabama's points early. SFA up 4-3 with 17:30 in the opening half.
- Jaden Shackelford is the first substitute off of the bench for the Crimson Tide.
- At the first media timeout, it is all tied up at five. Both teams have combined for seven turnovers and shot 2-8 from the field.
- Galin Smith has entered the game for Reese.
- SFA leads 9-5 with 13:31 remaining. The Crimson Tide is on a 2:30 scoring drought from the field.
- After two SFA free throws to push the lead to 11-5, Jaylen Forbes has entered the game for Jones.
- Petty with a nice behind the back bounce pass to Lewis on the wing for a three-pointer. Alabama now trails 11-10.
- Reese checks back in and hits a layup as he is fouled. He is good from the charity stripe. SFA leads 14-13.
- After a quick 5-0 run from the Lumberjacks, Petty nails his first three of the game. SFA leads 19-6 with 7:20 remaining.
- Coming out of the second to last media timeout of the half, Reese bangs home a three-pointer. All tied up at 19.
- Jones hits a free throw to give the Crimson Tide its first lead of the game. 20-19 with 5:40 to go.
- The lead was short-lived as Ware nails a jumper to make it 21-20. Alabama commits its eight turnover of the game on the following possession.
- Excellent ball movement for the Crimson Tide leads to a Shackelford three-pointer. 23-21 Alabama at the final media timeout of the half. 3:50 remaining.
- After a Shackelford turnover, Comeaux hits a layup in transition to give SFA a one point lead, 28-27.
- On the other end, Lewis finds Petty for his second three-pointer of the game. Alabama is back out in front 30-28 with 1:17 left.
- The Crimson Tide lead the Lumberjacks at the break, 32-31. Alabama's leading scorer is Lewis with seven. Reese and Petty both have six.
- The half opens with a layup from Bain to give SFA the lead, 33-32.
- Petty answers with a three-pointer from the wing.
- Another three-pointer from Petty and SFA has to take a timeout. Alabama is out to a 38-33 lead with 18:28 remaining in the game.
- Davis hits a pair of free throws to give the Crimson Tide a 42-35 advantage.
- Alabama forces another SFA turnover and Reese drills a three-pointer on the other end. The Crimson Tide now has its biggest lead of the game, 45-35. 15:49 remaining.
- Jones commits his fourth foul of the game. SFA only hits one of the two free throws. Alabama leads 47-40 with 13:50 left.
- Shackelford commits two fouls within a minute of each other. SFA back at the free throw line. Johnson hits them both. 47-42 Alabama.
- Reese stops the run from SFA with a huge three-pointer. The lead is back out to eight for the Crimson Tide.
- Smith finds Shackelford cutting through the lane for a layup. Alabama leads 52-42 with 10:52 to go.
- Shackelford drives to the rim and is fouled as he hits a floater. Free throw is good. The lead is now 13. 55-42 Alabama.
- Both teams have gone cold going into the under eight mintue media timeout. SFA has not scored in 2:50 and the Crimson Tide has not scored in 2:30. Alabama still leads 57-44.
- Out of the timeout, Ware hits a three for SFA and then Lewis answers with one of his own for the Crimson Tide. 60-47 Alabama.
- SFA has made baskets on two straight possessions to make it an eight point deficit.
- Forbes makes his first field goal of the night to push the lead back to 11.
- Reese drills his fourth three-pointer of the game to make it 65-51.
- We head to the final media timeout at the 3:53 mark and Alabama is in control, 65-53. Reese leads all scorers with 15. Petty, Shackelford, and Lewis have 12.
- Walker hits a three for SFA to cut the lead to 10. Nate Oats calls a 30 second timeout.
- Jones commits a charge and has fouled out with 2:44 left to go. Alabama up 68-56.
- With 2:00 remaining, Davis becomes the fifth Crimson Tide player to reach double digit points. He has 11. Alabama leads 70-60.
- A pair of turnovers for the Crimson Tide leads to two baskets for the Lumberjacks. 74-68 UA with 38 seconds to go.
- Shackelford hits a pair of free throws to make it 76-68. SFA turns it over and Shackelford hits two more after he is fouled to make it 78-68.
- Alabama defeats SFA, 78-68.
- Shackelford finishes the game with 17 points, five rebounds, and two assists. Lewis added 15 points, six rebounds, and three assists.