Kwon Alexander got the best kind of birthday gift he could imagine on Tuesday. The 27-year-old is returning to the Saints on a one-year contract worth up to $3 million, his agent Drew Rosenhaus told ESPN.
Alexander was in for a visit with the Saints on July 20, with several teams reportedly interested in the free agent linebacker. On that date, Alexander was cleared from last season's Achilles injury and was ready to go to work.
There's no question that Alexander brought a certain vibe to the linebacker spot pairing alongside Demario Davis, and the impact of his loss was felt when he exited Week 16's contest against the Vikings. Alexander now looks to rekindle that magic with Davis, at a position where New Orleans had a good bit of players competing.
Alexander said on his Twitter account, "Birthday lit af right now!!! God Did it again!"
It's important to point out that Pete Werner, the team's second-round pick this year, had a good day of practice. Zack Baun also seemed like he was rising, as well as some other players like Andrew Dowell flashing. The competition just got a bit more stiff.
New Orleans will have to release someone to make room for Alexander, but it looks like the deal is a low risk move.
Read More Saints News:
- A-to-Z Guide of Saints Training Camp
- Report: Saints All-Pro WR/KR Deonte Harris Arrested In July
- Fantasy Football: Without Thomas, Do the Saints Have a Reliable WR Option?
- Sean Payton: Michael Thomas Surgery Should Have Happened Earlier
- Ex-Saints Head Coach Jim Mora Doubts If Winston or Hill' is a Special Quarterback'
- 2021 New Orleans Saints Offseason Moves
- Michael Thomas' Drama Signals Underlying Issues with Saints
- 2021 Saints 53-Man Roster Predictions: Offense
- 2021 Saints 53-Man Roster Predictions: Defense
- 3 Reasons Saints Players Will Miss Drew Brees at Training Camp
- Does the Saints' Interest in Xavien Howard Have Merit?
- Saints Training Camp: Individual Battles to Watch