The rumor mill continues to heat up as speculation mounts over where top free-agent pitchers Stephen Strasburg and Gerrit Cole will sign.
Zack Wheeler reportedly agreed to terms with the Phillies on a five-year deal on Wednesday afternoon. Many questions surround the Nationals and whether or not Strasburg and third baseman Anthony Rendon will return to the club.
Major League Baseball's Winter Meetings start Sunday in San Diego. Until then, check out the latest news and rumors around baseball:
• Stephen Strasburg’s meeting with the Yankees went “well” on Wednesday, while exact dollars were not discussed. (Mark Feinsand, MLB Network)
• The Blue Jays have interest in Hyun-Jin Ryu, who has been “under the radar” so far this offseason. (Jon Heyman, MLB Network)
• A deal for Madison Bumgarner could come “soon,” with the Cincinnati Reds the latest team to express interest. (Jon Heyman, MLB Network)
• Gerrit Cole told the Yankees in his meeting on Tuesday that he has “no west coast bias” following worries that he prefers either Los Angeles team. He is from Orange County, California and went to high school less than five miles from Angel Stadium. The meeting lasted over four hours. (Jon Heyman, MLB Network)
• The Giants are not considered to be contenders for Gerrit Cole, but beat writer Henry Schulman says it could be a more likely match than expected. Cole is married to Brandon Crawford's sister, Amy, though it's unclear how much, if at all, his relationship with the Giants shortstop would impact his decision. (Henry Schulman, San Francisco Chronicle)
• The Angels have traded for pitcher Dylan Bundy from the Orioles in exchange for pitching prospect Isaac Mattson. (Ken Rosenthal, The Athletic)
• The Yankees had a "very nice" meeting with Gerrit Cole Tuesday but did not discuss money with him. The meeting focused on selling him on the club and winning, but New York added: "The dollars will be there." (Jon Heyman, MLB Network)
• Stephen Strasburg and the Yankees are set to meet on Wednesday in California. (Mark Feinsand, MLB.com)
• The Braves signed starter Cole Hamels to a one-year, $18 million deal. (Team announcement)
• The Dodgers met with Strasburg and Rendon. Both players have spent their entire careers with the Nationals. (Jorge Castillo, Los Angeles Times)
• Many executives believe the Indians will trade shortstop Francisco Lindor this offseason or by next season's trade deadline. Cleveland wants to capitalize on Lindor's value before he becomes a free agent at the end of the 2021 season. (Jeff Passan, ESPN)
• The Nationals want an answer from Anthony Rendon before the Winter Meetings or shortly thereafter on his potential return. If not, Washington will look into acquiring Josh Donaldson or other options. (Jayson Stark, The Athletic)