Free agent wide receiver Antonio Brown sent out an expletive-laden tweet around noon on Thursday complaining about the NFL. Brown said he was sick of conforming to a system that he believes treats him unfairly. He went on to say, “F--- the NFL I’ll never play,” seemingly providing a definitive answer to a question that’s been circulating since his release from the Patriots ahead of Week 3.
Brown also posted a since-deleted Instagram of himself that conveyed a similar, less explicit message. It read, “F--- @NFL I’m going down another path no more making money off my blood and sweat! No more control of my name and body clear my name I am done with it! So you fantasy f---- can let it go.”
The pair of social media musings come hours following an ESPN report that Brown would meet with the NFL next week to discuss his sexual assault allegations. This is not the first time Brown has posted about never playing in the NFL again. He previously tweeted he “will not be playing in the NFL anymore” back on September 22.
Brown sits in limbo as teams wait for him to meet with the league to discuss his playing status in the wake of the allegations. It was reported last week the Seattle Seahawks took a look at Brown last week before signing Josh Gordon. Agent Drew Rosenhaus said several teams would be interested in his client should be declared eligible to play.
ESPN’s Josina Anderson reported that Britney Taylor, Brown’s former trainer who accused him of sexually assaulting her on multiple occasions, and her attorney David Haas formally served Brown and his attorney. Brown requested 45 days to respond and has taken on Camille Blanton to accept and formally handle the lawsuit.
Brown is not on the commissioner’s exempt list, and the league said it would not do so while he is still a free agent. However, if signed by a team, Brown may be moved to the list depending on the league’s findings in his case.
Brown is scheduled for an in-person meeting with the NFL next Thursday, November 14.