The Steelers interviewed former Browns head coach Hue Jackson earlier this week for their offensive coordinator position, according to ESPN's Diana Russini.
Jackson has not coached since 2018. In two-plus seasons as the head coach of the Browns, he led the team to a 3–36–1 record. Jackson was fired in October of that year and joined the Bengals a month later as an assistant to head coach Marvin Lewis. The team let Lewis go that December.
Jackson has been an offensive coordinator previously, notably leading the Bengals to the league's No. 7 offense in points scored in 2015. He also previously coached a Raiders offense that was No. 6 in points scored during the 2010 season.
Pittsburgh parted ways with offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner on Jan. 14, choosing not to renew his contract. The team also parted ways with offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett.
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac, quarterbacks coach Matt Canada is also a candidate for the team's offensive coordinator role.
There is hope among the Steelers organization that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is likely to return for his 18th NFL season in 2021, according to NFL Network. He has one more year remaining on his contract with a cap hit of $41 million. Nevertheless, The MMQB's Albert Breer reported on Thursday that the club was signing free-agent quarterback Dwayne Haskins.
Check out the latest news and notes from around the NFL:
- Jennifer King will be a full-time offensive assistant for the Washington Football Team after spending the last year as a coaching intern. (Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)
- Martin Mayhew is now the Washington Football Team's GM, and Marty Hurney will have a high-ranking role within the front office. Both will work with head coach Ron Rivera. (Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)
- The Jaguars are expected to hire Lions OC Darrell Bevell (Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)
- Vikings offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak has retired after 36 years as an NFL player and coach. (Team announcement)
- The Lions are interviewing Steelers receivers coach Ike Hilliard for their offensive coordinator vacancy. (Albert Breer, The MMQB)
- The Jaguars announced that Trent Baalke officially has been named their team's general manager. (Jaguars)
- The Eagles are zeroing in on Colts offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni as their new head coach. (Ian Rapoport, Mike Garafolo & Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)
- The Jaguars have requested an interview with Colts quarterbacks coach Marcus Brady for their offensive coordinator role. (Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)
- Rams assistant coach Joe Barry is expected to join new Chargers head coach Brandon Staley as defensive passing game coordinator and linebackers coach. (Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)
- The Chargers interviewed longtime NFL safety Renaldo Hill for their defensive coordinator job Wednesday. (Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)