RSL holds Guadalajara to 1-1 draw in friendly

Publish date:

Real Salt Lake held visiting Chivas de Guadalajara to a 1-1 draw in a chilly midweek friendly at Rio Tinto Stadium on Wednesday night.

The term "friendly" was taken lightly as the game turned into a hard-fought battle with a player on each side being sent off before the end of the first half.

Salt Lake provided the danger in the 11th minute when Fabian Espindola sent in a cross that was headed by David Horst, but Chivas keeper Luis Michel sailed left to save and give away a corner kick.

The first goal came from RSL in the 16th minute. Chivas' Patricio Araujo lost the ball and Yura Movsisyan took advantage of the mistake. The Real Salt Lake player then sent in the ball for a waiting Espindola outside the box. who then took a shot with his left foot and easily sent the ball rolling past Michel to gave the home team the lead.

The teams continued to battle during the first half and it became a physical game with countless fouls. It finally culminated with Edgar Solis being sent off in extra time for an altercation with Salt Lake's Jamison Olave. A few seconds later, the defender was given a red card as well.

It didn't take too long into the second half for Chivas to respond. Omar Esparza leveled it up for the Mexican team in the 52nd minute. He made a run down the right and received the ball just inside the ball to send it over Nick Ramando for the 1-1 score.

RSL then tried to respond with a shot in the 59th minute. Pablo Campos had an opportunity that sent Hugo Hernandez, the substitute for Michel during the second half, left and kept the score level.

Then in the 72nd minute, Nat Borchers had an opportunity to put Real in front. He headed a ball towards the top of the net, but Hernandez was there to make the timely save and keep the score level.

Finally, it was Chivas who had a chance. Ramon Morales received a ball on the left, just outside the penalty box and took a shot that ended up rattling the post in the 74th minute.

In the 78th minute, RSL had a great opportunity. The ball easily slid past the Chivas defense to Robbie Findley waiting on the right outer corner of the box. He took a shot, but it was initially stopped by Hernandez. The ball continued to roll across goal, and Findley chased after, but it was just cleared by a Chivas defender.

Chivas had a late chance into extra time. Morales took a free kick and it was headed by Antonio Salazar. Salazar's effort went wide of Rimando's goal and the game ended with a 1-1 draw.