West Ham appear to have reached a verbal agreement with Sporting star William Carvalho as they look to lure him to the Premier League.
The Hammers have been pushing hard to land the Portugal international in the past few weeks and, according to Portuguese website Diario de Noticias, have shaken hands with Carvalho and his agent over a potential deal.
Carvalho had been interesting West Ham's fellow top tier sides in Tottenham Hotspur and Crystal Palace but, providing there are no issues with his medical and other small negotiations, the midfield enforcer should become a West Ham player before the window closes in September.
The Irons are said to have first made contact with Carvalho's representatives at the end of July, and were given positive feedback over enticing him to the English capital.
A delegation from the London-based side arrived in Lisbon earlier in the week to discuss a move to the London Stadium with Carvalho, and terms were thrashed out between the two parties over a possible transfer to England.
West Ham must now come to an agreement with Sporting themselves over a suitable fee for Carvalho, and it is expected that an offer of around £27m should be enough to convince them to part with the 25-year-old.
West Ham interested in signing Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho. Would be great signing. Won Euros with Portugal last summer— Kaveh Solhekol (@SkyKaveh) August 10, 2017
Carvalho is expected to remain in Portugal's capital until Tuesday 23rd August, with his potentially last appearance for Sporting coming in their Champions League qualifier against Romanian outfit Steaua Bucharest.
Once that game is complete, the towering midfield man will sit down with his current employers to help move negotiations on at a fair pace.
If West Ham sign William Carvalho that would turn an already strong window into an obscenely good one. Exciting times.— Liam Spencer (@ironviews) August 10, 2017
Jorge Jesus, Sporting's manager, told the press recently that neither Carvalho or Adrien Silva had informed him of their desire to leave, though he stipulated that by saying he needed to be flexible in case the duo decided they wanted out.
He said: "I know they are two coveted players and they have the market on top. I have to work because of the moment, which is the day-to-day, so if new things come up I have to be prepared.
"It is not true that they talked to me to leave. They never proposed to me."
Carvalho has featured 156 times for Sporting since his first-team bow in April 2011, and is contracted until June 2020.