With five days remaining until the start of the 2020-21 college basketball season, several programs have been put on pause or shut down temporarily due to COVID-19 outbreaks.
Stadium basketball analyst Jeff Goodman reported Binghamton and Youngstown State have stopped all team activities.
St. Bonaventure's men's basketball program released a statement Thursday saying its team activities have also been put on pause due to a positive test result within the team's Tier 1 personnel.
As a result of the positive test, the Bonnies will not participate in the Mohegan Sun "Bubbleville" games. St. Bonaventure was slated to play three games between Nov. 25-27.
DePaul shut down its basketball program following a positive COVID-19 test among its Tier 1 group. The Blue Demons' first three games on their schedule (Nov. 25, Nov. 28 and Dec. 1) are canceled, according to Goodman.
Iona's game against Hofstra has been moved to Dec. 5. The game between Wagner and Iona originally scheduled for Dec. 5 has been canceled, Rothstein reported.
Creighton men's basketball team will not participate in the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic in South Dakota. Creighton's first three games of the season on Nov. 25, Nov. 26 and Nov. 27 will not happen. The Bluejays' first game of the season will now be on the road against Nebraska-Omaha on Dec. 1.
As of Friday, here is a list of college basketball programs that are currently paused or shut down due to COVID-19.
College Basketball Programs Pausing or Shutting Down Seasons
- Bethune Cookman
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore,
- Alabama State (conference-only schedule, set to play Jan. 2)
- Iona (quarantine ends Nov. 26 or Nov. 27)
- Canisius (returns to practice on Nov. 22)
- Seton Hall
- Southeastern Louisiana (quarantine ends Nov. 21 or Nov. 22)
- Stetson (quarantine ends Nov. 24)
- North Carolina Central (looks to return to practice Nov. 22)
- Siena (plans to return to practice on Nov. 27)
- Southern Illinois (plans to return to practice on Nov. 27)
- Vermont (quarantine ends Dec. 18)
- San Diego
- Youngstown State (plans to return to practice on Nov. 30)
- Colorado State (pausing team activities through Dec. 2)
College Basketball Programs Canceling Seasons
- All eight Ivy League programs