From "It's still real to me, dammit," to the "Grape Lady," this is your YouTube Hall of Fame.
We're going to break from our usual format today because I'm going to present the YouTube Hall of Fame based on the responses of Traina Thoughts readers, but I do need to take care of some business first.
A brand new SI Media Podcast dropped Wednesday for your listening pleasure and the guest is Sports Business Journal reporter John Ourand. Topics covered on the podcast include, the Bob Costas-NBC-NFL kerfuffle, the AAF beating the NBA in the ratings last Saturday night, fallout from ESPN firing Adnan Virk, why the NFL is likely to choose Bears-Packers over a Patriots game on Opening Night and why the NFL and the networks don't mind putting a mediocre game in the late afternoon window on Thanksgiving.
Ourand also reveals that the expected Thanksgiving night game this season will be Eagles at Vikings. You can listen to the podcast below or download it on iTunes.
OK, now let's get to the Traina Thoughts YouTube Hall of Fame. Tuesday afternoon, after writing about the WWE and its storyline for Becky Lynch, in this space, the infamous "It's still real to me, dammit," YouTube video came up during a conversation I was having with a friend. In case you've never seen it, the clip, which is more than 10 years old now, of a man breaking down in tears while speaking to some wrestling legends, including Jim Cornette and Terry Funk, was one of the first "viral" clips on the World Wide Web. That got me thinking about what videos would be the Mariano Riveras of YouTube. Which clips are unanimous, first-ballot YouTube Hall of Famers. I threw the question out to my Twitter followers and the responses came pouring in.
Many, many people were in agreement that "It's Still Real To Me, Dammit," is the GOAT.
While everyone loves, "It's Still Real To Me, Dammit", there were plenty of other worthy submissions. You've seen them many times before, you love them, you still laugh at them. Without further ado, in addition to "It's Still Real To Me Dammit," here are the other Top 10 First-Ballot YouTube Hall of Fame entries, in no particular order.
1. Antoine Dodson, "Hide Yo Kids, Hide Yo Wife," submitted by @johndshabek.
2. Star Wars Kid, submitted by @verygooster.
3. Anchor vs. Reporter On-Air Fight, submitted by @eorvieto.
4. Angry Man Yells at Trumpet Player in New York City, submitted by @NYCPERISCOPE.
5. Kai The Hitchhiker Surfer Uses Hatchet To Stop 'Crazed' Driver, submitted by @tigertwit221.
6. Grape Lady, submitted by @mrriegs33.
7. Kige Ramsey, submitted by @robinsonandrew.
8. Samurai Sword Screw Up on "Shop at Home," submitted by @Bbac02.
9. Weird Russian Guy Singing, submitted by @ZuMZiM.
10. Leprechaun in Alabama, submitted by @wyshynski.
Congrats to all the winners and a big thanks to all who submitted entries.
IN CLOSING: If I had to rank the top three of these videos, I'd go 1) It's Still Real To Me, Dammit; 2) Grape Lady; 3) Anchor vs. Reporter.