March Madness is finally here, which mean it's also time to start looking ahead to the NBA draft. Here is SI.com's 2016 Mock Draft 1.0.
Look around you. February has turned into March. The ice is gone. The birds are chirping. There's sun peeking through clouds, and it's dancing off the backs of children who can finally play outside again. Brandon Ingram started the year at 150 pounds, but now, he's up to 170! Can you hear it? Can you feel it?
IT'S MOCK DRAFT SEASON.
NBA front offices are canvassing the country scouting conference tournaments, and next week, the NCAA tournament gets under way. Is it way too early to be thinking about any of this? Sure, absolutely. But that's part of the mock tradition. With that said, a couple notes before we get started:
• The draft order here is set according to the NBA standings through March 9. An * indicates a team has inherited the pick via trade.
• This list will probably look very different when we do this again in a few weeks. Most of college basketball has been down this year, and with big boards as scrambled as they've been in years, the tournament will likely play an even bigger role than usual in determining how the draft shakes out.
• The second-half of this mock will be quick, because right now, nobody knows anything about the second half of the draft. It's important to be up front about this.
• Likewise, there will many more European names on this list when we're doing this in June, but seeing as I haven't been to Montenegro this year, you'll have to wait before we start parsing YouTube videos from the Adriatic League.
• An NBA fan can only watch so much college basketball. For each of these mocks, I'll reach out to SI.com's Luke Winn for his thoughts on a few prospects.
Let's do this.