- With Adam Gase now the Jets’ head coach, chances are he’s going to be the subject of at least a handful of New York newspapers' back pages. Here we present our best pun-ny headlines—you’re welcome, editors.
The Jets’ hiring of Adam Gase gave us the first of many Gase-themed puns which will appear on the back of New York City’s warring tabloids, the New York Daily News and the New York Post on Thursday morning.
The News went with: GASE CLOSED, while the Post veered in the opposite direction with ADAM’S APPLE (Newsday lagged waaaaay behind in third with ‘Gase New Jets Pilot,’ which feels like a major disappointment.) Either way, it got us thinking about one of the most underrated parts of a fresh coaching tenure. Newspaper headline writers have spent years wringing all the juice out of their old puns (TOILET BOWLES, anyone?) but breathe new life as the endless potential for new jokes surfaces again.
We here at the MMQB (mostly colleague Jenny Vrentas and I, since almost none of you decided to help on Twitter) are here to assist them, and really any of us who enjoy a good old-fashioned headline joke. Also, damn you, Rich Eisen show, for taking all of the good Jets ones already. Without further ado, here are the best we could think of so far for every new head coach.
*Takes long, deep breath….*
GASE IN POINT
BLOW A GASE-KET
ACE OF GASE (H/T Daniel Jeremiah)
I DON’T GIVE ADAM
GASE THE JOINT
This guy was made for New York.
ONE VIC PONY
A VIC UP HIS SLEEVE
VIC OR TREAT
BIG VIC ENERGY (h/t to MMQB editor Mitch Goldich)
DUELING FANGIO (h/t to MMQB executive editor Mark Mravic)
NOT A FAN-GIO (h/t to MMQB executive editor Mark Mravic)
FIT FOR A KINGSBURY
BRUCE IS COOKED
BRUCE IT UP
FAST AND BRUCE
BRUCE’S LIPS SINK SHIPS
FREDDIE AS WE GO
FREDDIE OR NOT
FREDDIE TO GO
FREDDIE AND WILLING
FREDDIE TO RUMBLE
THE KITCHENS SINK
RIGHT SAID FRED
FAST AND FLEURIOUS
DON’T FLEURRY, BABY
IN A FLEURRY
TRIAL BY FLEURRY
FLEURRY UP OFFENSE
FISTS OF FLEURRY
A FLEUR THING
Thanks for reading. I’m so, so sorry.
Not getting this newsletter in your inbox yet? Sign up for The MMQB’s Morning Huddle.
NOW ON THE MMQB: Sam Shields’s two-year journey through a concussion. … Finding Jeff Fisher (on an ATV, no less). … The financial quirks NFL playoffs bring to players’ game checks. ... The Cardinals think they’ve found their Sean McVay in Kliff Kingsbury.
WHAT YOU MAY HAVE MISSED: Months of reporting went into this piece on teams’ community initiatives. What are players doing to combat social injustice, you ask? ... How Sean Payton survived Bountygate without the Saints, and how the Saints survived without Sean Payton. … Can Dallas score a road win on the back of Ezekiel Elliott?
1. A surprising favorite emerges for the Bengals’ head coaching job.
2. Will Von Miller be even better under Vic Fangio?
3. A stunning admission from Steelers president Art Rooney II: It’s ‘hard to envision’ Antonio Brown at camp in 2019.
4. Breaking down Demarcus Lawrence, as he prepares to clean up via free agency.
5. The case for (and against) Gase, via the New York Post.
6. In non-NFL news, “Poison toilet paper reveals how termites help rainforests resist drought.”
Question or comment? Email us at email@example.com.