As part of our MLS season preview reporting, I interviewed 18 players from around the league, gave them anonymity (in return for their honesty) and asked them 25 rapid-fire questions about the league.
(To recap, players were not allowed to vote for their own team or anyone from it, and I'm only including choices that received more than one vote, the better to prevent someone with an outlier axe to grind from publicizing it.)
Which team has the best quality field in the league?
1. Colorado, Kansas City (four votes) 3. Los Angeles, New York (three votes)
One player said this about the field in Los Angeles: "It's tough. At different times of the year, L.A. is very good. Other times it's not." The problems have usually come in the wake of the Home Depot Center hosting the X Games.
Which team has the worst quality field in the league?
1. New England (12 votes) 2. Vancouver (four votes)
Who is the best referee in the league?
1. Michael Kennedy (two votes)
Who is the worst referee in the league?
1. Baldomero Toledo (four votes) 2. Jair Marrufo (two votes)
Who is the player you most respect in the league?
1. Thierry Henry, New York (five votes) 2. Dwayne De Rosario, D.C. United; Chris Wondolowski, San Jose (two votes)
Who is the dirtiest player in the league?
1. Steven Lenhart, San Jose (five votes) 2. Aurélien Collin, Kansas City; Brandon McDonald, D.C. United (two votes)
What is the most fun road city in the league?
1. Chicago, New York (four votes) 3. Los Angeles (three votes) 4. Seattle, Toronto (two votes)
What is the least fun road city in the league?
1. Columbus, Dallas (six votes) 3. Montreal, New England (two votes)
Who is the best MLS owner (not your own)?
1. AEG (five votes) 2. Seattle (four votes) 3. Red Bull (two votes)
Who is the worst owner in MLS?
1. The Krafts (five votes) 2. The Hunts (four votes)
What is the single most important issue for players that needs to be addressed by the league?
1. Non-guaranteed contracts (five votes) 2. No free agency within the league (four votes) 3. Minimum player salary is too low (three votes) 4. Unhappiness with league's single-entity structure (two votes)
MLS disciplinary committee retro-suspensions: Are they necessary or not necessary?
Necessary (14 votes) Not Necessary (four votes)
Would a gay player be accepted in your team's locker room?
Yes (17 votes) No (one vote)
Have you ever heard of an MLS player being approached by gamlbing interests for information or match-fixing?
No (18 votes) Yes (0 votes)
Commissioner Don Garber says MLS will be one of the world's best soccer leagues by 2022. Do you buy that?
Yes (16 votes) No (2 votes)