Even though preseason games have yet to begin, early August can be the best time to test your fantasy football draft strategies. That way, if you make a mistake, you can learn from your gaffes and scrap the strategies that didn't work.
On Aug. 1, I joined some of the best veteran fantasy analysts in a 12-team PPR fantasy mock draft. The particular scoring system we operated under rewards only four points for a passing touchdown, which is the first quarterback (Aaron Rodgers) didn't come off the board until Round 4. Also, the rosters require two wide receivers and a flex, which can be a running back or a receiver.
• First quarterback: Aaron Rodgers with the first pick in Round 4.
• First rookie: Running back Montee Ball with the eighth pick in Round 3.
• First tight end: Jimmy Graham with the ninth overall pick. Reach! Graham is a late second rounder in SI.com's Top 300.
• Rob Gronkowski went with the last pick of Round 2. That's where Graham should have gone. Gronk shouldn't go before Round 4 until he proves he'll play in Week 1.
• Not drafted: WR Percy Harvin, WR Michael Crabtree, QB Joe Flacco, QB Josh Freeman, QB Jay Cutler, QB Matt Schaub, RB Jonathan Dwyer and WR Jeremy Kerley.
|Fantasy football PPR Mock Draft results|