Recruiting Roundup: Kiffin, USC continue to angle for national stars
In a new weekly feature, Rivals.com recruiting analyst Mike Farrell offers five thoughts on the notable events of the past week. This week focuses on two players in the news from Seffner (Fla.) Armwood, led by five-star safety
With Devin Gardner dropping to third on the Michigan's quarterback depth chart behind a redshirt freshman, can the big three signal-callers from the state of Michigan in 2010 officially be labeled flops? That certainly appears to be the case. Gardner, who was ranked the highest among the trio of prospects that also included Robert Bolden and Joe Boisture, seems unlikely to see any real time as the Michigan starter with Russell Bellomy waiting in the wings and 2013 five-star
Bolden, the first true freshman to start at Penn State in 100 years, is now relegated to third string on the LSU depth chart behind Zach Mettenberger and Stephen Rivers. Boisture had to retire from football due to a serious back issue. Gardner was ranked No. 132 in the nation by Rivals.com in 2010, while Bolden was No. 136 and Boisture was a four-star outside the Rivals250.
• It was only one game, but we feel pretty good already about being the only recruiting site to rank Georgia running back Todd Gurley ahead of fellow Georgia running back (and fellow North Carolina product) Keith Marshall.
• The only reason I can think of that Alabama isn't higher on the consideration set lists for top uncommitted prospects is because of the depth in Tuscaloosa. That team is the definition of reload, and a few top prospects might be scared away because early playing time doesn't seem to be available at many positions.
• Maryland got the win over William & Mary, but it will need to play a lot better to keep its solid recruiting class together. It also has to step up its game to land some of the big targets remaining on the board, such as
• Notre Dame has been mentioned as the leader for Florida cornerback
• After seeing Gurley at Georgia and T.J. Yeldon at Alabama last weekend, am I the only one who thinks that